Starfleet Starship Insignia was all supposed to be the same?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Captain Nebula, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

According to an article on the Phase II website, all Starfleet patches were supposed to be the same on TOS. I guess when The Motion Picture came along they made it official?

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?p=2329

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

In his Rise of the Federation novels, Christopher comes up with an interesting explanation for the differing insignia. Linky

3. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes--BTW this was discussed at length in an earlier thread.

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Yeah, Harvey and I uncovered that little tidbit when Harvey sent me some memos related to Bill Theiss. It was a second season "glitch" which did get corrected afterwards.

5. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

The Redundant Department of Redundancy apologizes for having to apologize for being redundant.

Thanks for the responses!

7. CrazyMatt

This is one of those topics I never tire of discussing. Perhaps this thread can go 'where no thread has gone before'.....

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

This topic piques my inner geek.

Oh, one thing I think failed to get mention in the earlier threads, though it's a somewhat off-topic, being both non-Starfleet and presumably non-Federation, is that the space hippies in "The Way to Eden" had their own badge, seen here. It's like a white egg with an infinity symbol (∞) in the yolk. To me, it seems to be a shout-out to the Enterprise assignment patches, as if their assignment in life is to be a space hippie. ;)

9. Maurice

Or more likely a 23rd century peace sign, dig?

10. CorporalCaptain

Sure! My winky was intended to indicate my facetiousness, although I really found it extremely amusing that they each wore it on or near their left breast.

(Incidentally, the peace symbol/peace sign had its origins as the CND badge [link, link].)

11. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unless their apology is overruled by the Department of Redundancy Department. :)

12. CrazyMatt

Given that Bob Justman objected to the use of the non-arrowhead on Morgan Woodward's uniform, I still wonder why this was not an issue for William Windom's.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Didn't the memo say that it was a mistake that slipped under his radar that time?

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It mentions "Charlie X," but not "The Doomsday Machine."

15. Maurice

No idea why he didn't balk at the DDM insignia. Maybe he didn't notice it then, but perhaps Gene or someone else pointed it out in the dailies for Omega Glory (since that was Gene's baby, it wouldn't surprise me if it got closer scrutiny by The Bird).

16. CorporalCaptain

Ouch. Good point.

17. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Never get tired re-reading this memo, thanks Harvey

"Whilst sitting in Dailies today, it was noticed that a Starship Captain (from another Starship) was wearing an emblem unfamiliar to yours truly. I have checked the occurences out with Mr. Roddenberry, who has reassured me that all Starship personnel wear the Starship emblem that we have established [in "Court Martial"] for our Enterprise Crew Members to wear."

While Commodore Decker's Constellation insignia may have slipped under Justman's radar, how comes that Gene Roddenberry apparently didn't (want to?) remember it, too?

Or was the USS Constellation not or no longer considered to be a "starship"? :eek:

Bob

18. CorporalCaptain

No.

19. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

^^ Thanks. Gene Roddenberry remembered all this?

Interesting that Kirk knew rather well the amount of energy released by overloading the impulse engines, a rather hypothetical scenario (probably scored an "A" at the Academy during "How to self-destruct my starship should the need ever arise" ;)).

Bob

20. CrazyMatt

When I was a young'n watching the show for the first time in the early 70's back in the glory days of UHF, I always figured the reason that Decker and Tracey had different patches was to show that these other officers were obviously NOT from the Enterprise. This made perfect sense. And they both looked kinda neat, better than the Enterprise patch even.

Conversely, until years later when I read an interview with Win De Lugo, I never understood why Enterprise crewmembers--junior officers no less--in the Starbase 11 bar were harassing their own captain over Ben Finney's death. And why did Kirk claim he hadn't seen them for a long time? What a bad commanding officer, not interacting with all his crew on a regular basis! Were they stuck working in remote areas of the ship for years and only now got shore leave so they actually could talk to (or more accurately, harass) their captain???

It's amazing how that all confused an eleven year-old watching "Court Martial" for the first time.