Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 30, 2012.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, we can assume that down the line any that want to go home eventually do? How many do you think will be taking textbooks of science and technology back? How long before the newly industrialized Enchanted Forest realm becomes the super power of fairy tale world?

2. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I felt like it was Cora too.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Next week's preview boasts about possibly "the biggest bombshell yet," but doesn't everyone expect Neal Cassidy to be Bae with the way this show does things? It would be a bigger surprise if he turned out not to be Bae.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ That's what I've been expecting since the season premiere. Sometimes I think it's too obvious.

So is Hurley going to be a regular now, as the biggest dwarf ever? I sure hope so. I wonder how many other refugees from Lost we can squeeze in. I want Yunjin Kim back. :D

Nervous Rumpy was amusing, and it shows that he's still the frightened man he was before the curse. I wonder if he'll learn something about himself.

I like the idea of the new beanstalk. If the show evolves into something that involves multiple other dimensions, I'll be happy with that.

5. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're writing Belle kinda stupidly, imo. Here she is with amnesia, and she's asking Ruby--and everyone else who calls her Belle--"Why are you calling me that?" Well, Gold freaking her out aside, if you don't know your own name people who aren't acting creepy are calling you Belle and telling you that it's your name, it's highly likely they're calling you Belle because it IS your name. I don't mind the plot, I just wish she was written a bit better.

You'd think that when Ruby comes around, acting nice and seemingly familiar, that she might just ask, "Is Belle really my name? What else can you tell me? Why can't I remember?" I know, plot device. But silly. Belle can have amnesia, be calm, notice there's weird stuff going on around her, and still be able to resonate with the stranger/texter.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The thing is, it's not amnesia. She has memories - of her mundane life in Storybrooke. You'd react the same as her if someone came up to you in the street and started calling you Belle.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

True, but what makes it confusing is that the show never gave her a "Storybrooke" name or identity; she was a nameless inmate in a psych ward before the curse was broken, so she's been "Belle" ever since she got free.

8. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Regina had Belle locked up in the psych ward of the hospital, and she was only freed by the Hatter after the curse was lifted. So her only memories were probably being locked up and getting injections to keep her docile.

9. Greg Cox

Exactly. All that stuff about meeting Ruby and becoming the town librarian happened after she regained her memories of being Belle. We have no idea what that forgotten inmate's "Storybrooke" name or history were.

10. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the complaint about "Belle" is that she should be saying "I'm not 'Belle,' I'm [insert unknown name,] and I want to go back to the psycho ward because I'm hallucinating!"

11. Greg Cox

Yeah, the writers are probably kicking themselves for not giving the forgotten inmate a name before now. :)

I did like the (literally) running gag about what exactly David/James/Charming's name was. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend and I have had that same conversation?

"What's his actual name again?"

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed this one. Jorge Garcia was fun, and I liked the stuff with the giants. The stuff in Storybrooke, and with Emma, Henry, and Gold in the outside world were pretty good too. I'm another person who thinks
    Neal" is Bae. It's exactly the kind of twist they like to throw at us in this. I'm curious if they are eventually going to start going back and forth from our world to The Enchanted Forest via the Beanstalk. I think it could be a lot of fun if they did.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So did Jack die or was she seriously wounded? If she's dead, then she'd be the bones (and sword?) Emma and Hook found.

I guess if they're willing to bump off Cinderalla's fairy godmother after a minute of screen time, then Jack and the Beanstalk wouldn't be very sacred either.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, even though we're between seasons, Cassiday does have a full time job over on Longmire.

I'm beginning to feel that Once Upon a a time is made for 10 year olds.

It's so PG.

Nothing truly dark has happened in the longest time.

15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't it pretty standard in amnesia stories for the amnesiac to yell "Why are you calling me that?!?" when someone calls them by their real name? It seems like that always happens.

16. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't been watching the show for a while, but decided to do some research to see where things were currently when it comes to the story, and I'm very disappointed that the writers seem to have more or less confirmed that they've chosen to make Neal and Rumple's missing son Baelfire one and the same character; such a direction is totally unnecessary and completely changes the characterization, by proxy, of my favorite character on the show, Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold, and also takes the notion of interconnecting characters' stories into soap opera territory.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm watching Jorge on the new episode of Californication.

His intellectual drug dealer makes this giant bean farmer look clinically retarded.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Good. I'm tired of shows that confuse "dark" and "adult."

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Dead, and those were her bones Emma found. Next to the sword that said Jack on it...

20. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On one level the show is a Disney product placement. Looking for dark is sort of deranged.

On another level, of course, there is an enormous amount of darkness. I refer of course to the stygian night of mediaevalism in the Magic Kingdom. You do realize that its portrayal of life for the average person (as opposed to the happy heroes and heroines who star in a fairy tale,) is grimly Hobbesian, don't you? In a sense it is unbelievably cynical to expect the majority of people to want to return to happy serfdom. I should think a happy ending for the series would be for Regina to cross town lines, ending all her miseries about magic. Then everyone in town who doesn't have a speaking role could stay in this world, living much happier lives under her mayoralty. After all, it certainly isn't Evil Queendom.

Speaking of which, King George gets to be forgiven Evil Kingdom. I suppose Regina can't be, because women are truly evil. As to the custody issue, skipping over Maine law, the sad truth is that the parenting skills of Emma, Snow and Charming are not as obvious as the show seems to think. I doubt Lana Parilla is actually much (any?) older than Goodwin, Morrison or Dallas, but somehow she seems so much more adult.