WASD

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Anduril, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

I'm sure most PC gamers use this for their keyboard layout. Ive always used ASDF. D for forward, S for backwards, F for strafe right, and A for strafe left. WASD just isn't comfortable for my hand. I don't know what my point is, I just feel under represented.

2. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... just thinking of playing like that is making my head hurt :(

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The thing with WASD is that it leaves your little finger free to hold down Ctrl or Shift to do thing like crouch and run. It also leaves various other buttons like TAB, Q, E, F, R & X in easy reach for things like Use, Reload, Switch weapons, Flashlight etc. etc. and all while keeping your thumb resting on the spacebar.

I've known of some people that use "ESDF" (same as WASD moved over one space) to free up the Q,A,& Z keys for extra functions, but never heard of anyone using "ASDF" before. Frankly it sounds cumbersome and I imagine with that arrangement you'd have to keep switching positions if you want to do anything other than move jump and shoot...which I suppose to be fair is all some games involve...

4. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Took me a while to re-learn how to move with modern games, having grown up using the arrow keys on the right hand and sometimes other functions on the left. No mouse.

5. Anduril

I use C for run and V for crouch. I use my index finger for those, so I can still run forward or backwards.

6. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

-----------

I like thumbsticks, mate *ducks*

7. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

You sir, are insane.

No offense.

8. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you can use ASDF I don't understand how WASD makes your hand uncomfortable...you are coming at WASD from the bottom of the keyboard, right?

9. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

I absolutley HATE WASD! And I hate it if its hardcoded into a game that doesn´t have the option of setting the keys yourself. I prefer to use a gamepad anyway.

10. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never been able to use WASD. I'm always getting lost and have to search out the buttons again. Not good in a fast paced game. So I'm strictly an arrow key user. With Shift,Control, and Enter for crouching, jumping, etc.

and of course the mouse.

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I got used to the arrow keys when I was a kid. Later on, I got accustomed to WASD. I do think for things like first-person shooters, WASD plus a mouse is the only way to go. As some others pointed out, WASD lets you also hit E, Q, Tab, Left Shift, and Left Ctrl, without missing a beat. Gives my pinky a good workout. :p

That said, I also like games that I can control mostly with the numeric keypad (like the Civ games.)

12. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup. As someone that uses the mouse with my left hand, the arrow keys make the most sense for me. For a very small number of games where I need direction and roll keys (such as Kerbal Space Program) I use 4-9 on the num pad.

13. Anduril

Right. How does everyone else use WASD? Do you use the ring finger for W and the middle finger for S? That's what makes my hand uncomfortable.

14. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You use your ring finger for the A, your middle finger for the S and W (leave it rested on the W), and your index finger for the D, and your thumb rests on the space.

15. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yup. And my pinky normally sits on Left Shift (to run) unless I need it elsewhere.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, unless you're left handed or missing some fingers, I don't get how WASD could be uncomfortable. For FPS or even 3rd person games like Mass Effect it's always felt perfectly natural. Of course, this coming from someone who grew up using AZOP on one of these things! ;)

I should note though, I do have an Xbox369 for Windows controller and to prefer to use it with games like Tomb Raider, Super Meat Boy and even Skyrim. It really depends on how the game is set up.

17. Anduril

Man, I was doing it all wrong all this time. No wonder it was uncomfortable! No one ever told me how!

However, I'm still firmly entrenched in my ASDF so I don't see myself changing it anytime soon. :)

18. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

WASD just feels natural, though I could see some merit to moving that pattern further into the middle of the keyboard (e.g. ESDF or RDFG) in certain games (ones with lots of binds like WoW).

19. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You must not have played computer games back when the arrow keys were used by the right hand? It's the same layout and a pretty natural transition to using WASD on the left hand from there. I do know a guy who wasn't willing to ditch the arrow keys though, so now he just slides his keyboard way to the left and uses arrow keys plus the various buttons in that area: right shift/ctrl, numeric keypad, and the ins/del cluster for all his other commands.

Sounds like a royal pain having to rebind your keys for every single game you play.

20. Anduril

The first PC game I played was Wolfenstein 3D. I can't recall the keyboard configuration I used with that. I clearly remember first using ASDF way back in '98 when Half Life came out. Those were the days.