Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Very interesting. I think it shows promise of a season two depending on how things play out. That being said, cost is still a factor worth considering. Programs with lower ratings but higher profit margins are obviously more valuable. I would imagine AoS has a pretty large budget.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I don't believe that article mentioned the huge bump in the last episode was because NCIS was a rerun that week.

4. Alidar Jarok

It mentioned the rerun, but not in context of the bump. I don't think it remotely changes its point, but it does at least explain that giant spike. It suggests that if this show were on another night and didn't compete against NCIS, it might have even better ratings. That being said, it's probably best finishing second to NCIS (which it can't be realistically expected to beat) while being safe from competing against other heavy hitters.

5. Turtletrekker

Yes, it did...

6. Alidar Jarok

It also said this:
    You would think that would be an appropriate place to mention that NCIS was a rerun. After all, it might be a factor.

7. Turtletrekker

True enough.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know the only reason I watched Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. live last week, instead of on Hulu like usual, is because NCIS, which I usually watch, was a repeat.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hehe, the police chief on Grimm referenced going to Tahiti tonight. I guess it is a magical place.

10. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I noticed that too and thought the same thing! :lol:

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's an encouraging article. I'd love to see this show get a second season, as long as they don't re-tool it to appeal to the lowest denominator.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Isn't it pretty much already tooled to the lowest common denominator?

13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I think that most of us who follow the show have expressed the opinion at one time or another that it could use a little retooling, whatever denominator they're going for.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for bringing this over. It does indeed add perspective and Sleepy Hollow is the only other new show I've committed to watching as well which made it even more interesting.

Be curious to see what the Cap:WS lead in will be in March and how they end the first half of the season...is that next week or will we get one or two more?

15. Alidar Jarok

It's gotta be next week. If not, they've done a terrible job of promoting the episode that comes after because we don't even have a title yet.

Plus, they seem to definitely be setting up a cliffhanger of sorts.

16. Turtletrekker

Yes. This week is the mid-season finale.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, I don't think so. I think it's pretty sharp. If it was tooled toward the lowest common denominator, the characters would be psychopaths or child molesters or something, and there would be a shocking, unexpected death of a major character every other week, and every episode would reveal shocking revelations that Change Everything You Know, and everybody would be dirty and unkempt, and the sets would look like a factory basement and life would be dark and meaningless and oh-so edgy. Instead, we've got a nice, slick production with interesting, likeable characters who manage to get along like adults despite their believable conflicts, tight stories that make sense, with snappy dialogue, and stuff going on in the background that might come to something someday. It leans more toward the Doctor Who school of storytelling than, say, nuBSG.

I don't mind if the show changes or evolves, I'm just worried about what kind of changes they'll make to grab a wider audience.

18. Turtletrekker

AoS to add two new recurring characters in episode 14.
    Interesting that episode 14 is the first ep beyond their original commitment from ABC.

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why do they have to make mention of this? Is it so it won't come as a surprise to all the racists when a black person turns up?

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Probably to address criticisms that there wasn't enough diversity in the main cast.