Lost 5x08: "LaFleur"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 4, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

57.6%
  2. Above Average

31.8%
  3. Average

8.2%
  4. Below Average

1.2%
  5. Poor

1.2%
  1. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Above Average. Not as good as the last two weeks but still an enjoyable episode that proceeded at a leisurely pace.

Josh Halloway and Elizabeth Mitchell did a good job here. Particularly liked Sawyer's scene with Richard. This is a great way to get the backstory of the island.

-I think the guy in the beginning with the sideburns plays Herc on Friday Night Lights.

-Nice to see the return of the statue. Wonder if Richard was alive during this time.

-Funny how Life on Mars is canceled and now Lost is set in the 79s.

-Sawyer, for the love of God...stick with Juliet. She's not dumb or annoying like Kate.

2. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excellent. Sawyer's been awesome all season but this was new levels of awesome. I'll be back later once I watch it again.

3. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guess I'll go against the grain. Bored me to tears. Another filler episode.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

3.75/4 Another excellent episode, missing only a Cerebus appearance to make it total classic ;)

WE FINALLY SEE THE STATUE AGAIN. Three ****ing years waiting for another Statue appearance. Thank yew. Can't wait to see a screen grab! And now we know it was frickin' huge, to see it that far away.

It is just so cool seeing our characters living in the Dharma Initiative. I love Dharma. This was my theory back at the end of S4 and I was RIGHT! :p Very exciting. It's weird seeing Horace in charge, though. What about Chang? Or the DeGroots?

Wasn't Horace "with" the blonde teacher in "Man Behind the Curtain", both in the scene of Ben's birth and then later on the Island? Or am I mismembering?

Horace gets drunk and goes out dynamiting trees, exploding them up into the air... just like Cerebus does... was he trying to summon Cerebus in his drunken stupor?

Another Cerebus hint: the truce between Dharma and the Natives says that the Natives get all the dead bodies and this is very important to them. Why? So Cerebus can reanimate/consume them? Or so it/he can NOT? Fascinating.

I noticed that after the final flash Miles had grey hairs at the bottom of his sideburns. Were those there before and I just never noticed them, or is that a side effect?

Y'know this is the first Sawyer centric episode since 3X5? Been awhile!

It's nice to see Juliet in a larger role again. She was so underused in S4. I think she's a fascinating supporting character like Sayid, a cool collected thinker to guide the "leader" onto the right path. Kinda weird seeing them hook up like that, but they did have limited options. And I'm sure everybody will break up with everybody and it'll end up Jack/Juliet and Sawyer/Kate, the more logical pairings.

5. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

Above Average. I love Sawyer and Juliet because the thought of kate with anyone makes me ill. Kate must die!:devil:

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Miles always had a bit of grey.

7. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Above Average. It would have been Excellent if there hadn't been so much Sawyer (especially with my Juliette) and taking my idea for the statue. If we see the front and it's Jar-Jar I want some royalties!

8. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I need to watch the episode again, and get a better look at the statue. From the brief glimpse, it might have appeared Egyptian perhaps. That might fit with the fact there are hieroglyphics on the island.

9. That was a HELL of an episode.

10. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

Screencap of statue

It looks like a woman!

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Come to think of it, I'm sorely disappointed we didn't get to see Chang in this episode. And shouldn't Lil' Ben be running around at this point as well?

Man I swear, it's like magic. 10pm on Wednesday night and my computer instantly gets frozen and slow as molasses. Not just the internet but the actual running speed. And I actually rebooted just before 10pm too. It's like my comp magically knows the most annoying possible time to mess up on me. :p

12. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Nah, hard to tell, looks Egyptian to me

13. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Above average. The scene between Richard and Sawyer was clearly the high point although seeing the statue was also nifty. It's worth noting that when Horace and Richard are talking Richard mentions that the fence may keep other "things" out. I'm presuming this means the smoke monster and that Dharma is aware of it.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hmm, the Statue looks like Horus the Eygptian god of death I wanna say. Also, Paul's necklace in this episode was an ankh: "The ankh was the Egyptian hieroglyphic character that read "eternal life", a triliteral sign for the consonants ˁ-n-. Egyptian gods are often portrayed carrying it by its loop, or bearing one in each hand, arms crossed over their chest. It is also known as the key of life, the key of the Nile, or as crux ansata, Latin for "cross with a handle"."

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horus Hey Horus is shown here holding an ankh! And he's the god of sun/life/war, not death. Now the screen cap is fuzzy but he's holding something in his right hand and his left hand is obscured, he could be holding an ankh in his right hand and holding the staff in the left hand which is obscured by his body, which would match the picture of Horus on wiki. The picture of Osiris (god of death) doesn't match the Statue.

16. Trippy

^does he only have 4 toes? :p

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

18. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Maybe Richard only has 4 toes. I mean, why not, heh. So many mysteries.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

OMG, this Horus stuff is hilarious. This is about his rivalry with Set the god of desert/chaos: "By the Nineteenth dynasty, the enmity between Set and Horus, in which Horus had ripped off one of Set's testicles, was represented as a separate tale. According to Papyrus Chester-Beatty I, Set is depicted as trying to prove his dominance by seducing Horus and then having intercourse with him. However, Horus places his hand between his thighs and catches Set's semen, then subsequently throws it in the river, so that he may not be said to have been inseminated by Set. Horus then deliberately spreads his own semen on some lettuce, which was Set's favorite food (the Egyptians thought that lettuce was phallic). After Set has eaten the lettuce, they go to the gods to try to settle the argument over the rule of Egypt. The gods first listen to Set's claim of dominance over Horus, and call his semen forth, but it answers from the river, invalidating his claim. Then, the gods listen to Horus' claim of having dominated Set, and call his semen forth, and it answers from inside Set.[9]"

20. Trippy

The hires picture of the statue is now my background :lol: