The new SimCity...*sigh*

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sheep, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well seeing as they are giving everybody who reqisters this game before the 26th of this month one of those free games, i took a chance and managed to the the game for £31 online, i picked dead space 3, so basically £15.50 a game, not to bad at all. :)

Dont mind taking a chance on it at those prices. lol

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, you'd be surprised to know that quite a lot of people don't own every game ever released.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I can't say any of those games interest me in the slightest. (Other than SimCity 4 Deluxe, of course, but I already have that.) This is like getting food at a fast-food restaurant and them making up for the 30-minute wait time without giving you any food by giving you a coupon for a free Happy Meal or a Jr.-Sized McFlurry or something. It's a "Gee... thanks, I guess."

4. Haggis and tatties

Not a bad game actually, managed to get up to just over 100.000 before everything ground to halt because of traffic congestion, which lead to rubbish stacking up because the bin motors could not collect it, which lead to people getting sick from all that uncollected rubbish, which lead to a big lizard appearing from nowhere and hammering the final nail into my coffin by destroying my water plant, and the quick into the red budget downfall was upon me in no time. lol

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

This must be what happened to all those California cities that went bankrupt.

6. Haggis and tatties

^^Yeah, pesky lizards. lol

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Something I just thought about. Since it's always online and connected to everyone else, is it possible to reload in a situation like that or do you just have to soldier on?

8. Haggis and tatties

As far as i know there is no way to go back to a previous time in the cities build.

But you can delete the entire city and restart, something i have done four times now. lol

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

While I suppose I should get into the habit of deleting cities as a courtesy (were I to buy the game, probably in a sale), my typical pattern is to ignore the city and start a new one, but reserve the option of returning if I want to salvage the situation.

It's a shame I can't just roll it back, though. Usually I play through with disasters but sometimes I really want to do something else and don't feel like getting set back.

10. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got Battlefield 3, it is much more enjoyable than Scamcity and I've played it more often than I ever played Scamcity.

11. Trekker4747

Yahtzee at Zero Punctuation takes a crack at Sim City.

12. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah well.. another negative review, not surprising.

This debacle has let me try out CitiesXL 2012.. it's not perfect, i.e. it has some technical bugs like memory leakage and such but it seems like an extended and modern version of Sim City 4. It looks gorgeous, has some cool features and it's just fun to play.

In short.. it's everything SimCity should have been (and could have been even better with such a big studio behind it).

13. Haggis and tatties

I gave up with this at present because no matter how many roads i makes my city population keeps getting sick and dying from all the uncollected trash, regardless of how many empty roads i have, the AI always seems intent to ignore all the open ways avalible and just sit in one big traffic jam, no matter how many times i open up new ways to travel, like a big magnet pulls all the traffic to one place all the time. lol

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The AI stupidly follows the shortest path, and ONLY the shortest path. New and possibly longer roads will be ignored.

The game logic is so simple, it's almost incomprehensible how that could have happened. It's really not that hard to get an AI looking at weighted graphs. Shortest path AND traffic load for instance.

15. Trekker4747

The path finding in SC4:RH with NAM seems seriously more complex and realistic compared to what goes on in SC('13).

16. Into Darkness

Into Darkness Captain Captain

was going to buy this game but don't think I'll bother now.

17. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Some SimCity DLC (free) was released today...

The Nissan Leaf charging station! It generates happiness without needing workers, power, water, or sewer connections! Also comes with a Nissan billboard and fills your city with Nissan Leaf cars driven by Sims of all wealth classes!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's free and it's optional, so it's not really a hit against the game, but it does point out the stupidity of ad-supported DLC. Because no company wants to be associated with anything negative, Nissan now has a massive logo plastered on a building that uses no resources and which farts out happiness in a way reminiscent of a South Park joke. Some programmer had to sit there and program that, probably while swigging whiskey to ease the pain.

19. Haggis and tatties

^^LOL.

I never thought if it that way.

Anyway its only added to my traffic not going anywhere problem in my city. lol

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the fact they still had issues with the game, like the fastest speed, and during that someone was sitting around making an ad in the game. That seems like a good idea. haha