Horror Movies

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

What are you guys watching this October? Usually, I watch I ton of horror movies during October leading up to Halloween. I like a good mix of stuff I've never seen before and some old favorites. Netflix has some decent stuff this year. There are a lot of old silent films, Universal monster movies, and some foreign horror. Every once in a while I'll run across a really bad movie that ends up being so bad it's good.

Movies I own on Blu-ray that I plan on watching:

Friday the 13th Parts I-III
    A Nightmare on Elm Street
    The Orphanage
    Psycho
    Rob Zombie's Halloween
    28 Days Later
    The Descent
    The Ruins
    Paranormal Activity

I'll wing the rest of it but I absolutely plan on watching Trick 'r Treat on Halloween night!

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'd add Snyder's Dawn of the Dead from 2004, especially the Special Feature with Richard Biggs (Dr Franklin from Babylon 5), in one of his Final Roles, playing a Newscaster. It's clips of him all through the building up of the chaos, extremely spine chilling. It's called "Special Report: Zombie Invasion")

Just pulled it out to make my own pile :devil:

Also, the 30 Days of Night Web Series are pretty good. I got all the pieces off Comcast On Demand and burned a DVD of both Series

Oh, and if you haven't seen it, Hitchcock's Rope is really chilling, and has an innovative Filming Technique, where it looks like it's all shot, non-stop, 1 reel, no skipping from one room into the next, unless the camera walks there, I believe.

The Ruins is awesome too, may pull that one out as well.

And of course, there'll be some Romero Zombie Movies (Maybe all of them except Land of the Dead, unless we replaced it?)

Oh, and Carnival of Lost Souls too, maybe

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

No Event Horizon?

I'm not really a horror fan per se, but I might do-
    Interview with the Vampire
    Army of Darkness
    Aliens
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Event Horizon
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    Psycho
    Underworld
    Van Helsing

4. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, to choose from I have:
    Aliens
    Alien Resurrection
    Army of Darkness
    The Blade Movies
    Blood: The Last Vampire
    Constantine
    Day Watch
    The Garden of Sinners Movies
    Night Watch
    Ninja Scroll
    Paprika
    Perfect Blue
    Pitch Black
    Silent Mobius/Silent Mobius 2
    The Tremors Movies
    Underworld/Underworld: Evolution
    Wicked City
    It would be one of those if I do. As you can see I'm not much of a horror fan at all. If I like a horror movie enough to want to own it, it's probably not a conventional horror movie but something of a hybrid with other genres.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pitch Black, Alien, and Event Horizon are three great examples of hybrid films. I own two and the other is on Netflix.

6. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I usually watch lots of Universal horror around this time. The monsters are great, and I also love movies like The Dark Old House (maybe my favorite horror comedy) and The Black Cat (Lugosi and Karloff are both excellent in this).

I usually watch a lot of newer stuff too, like the Romero films and Evil Dead trilogy, Re-animator etc., but I'm not really in the mood for all those right now. Think I'll just keep to the classics this year.

7. Sindatur

Oooh, and Cat People, 1942. I recently got a DVD that has it and it's Sequel, never seen the Sequel, so, I'll have to check them out too this month.

8. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmmm... I'm not much of a horror fanatic...

The only movie that's really creeped me out was Carpenter's Prince of Darkenss... It had some kinda cool sci-fi elements to it and didn't spend a lot of time with "jump at you for the kill" cheap scares (the real exception being Alice Cooper's cool turn as a homeless zombie)...

I'll probably catch a few vids on the box with whatever's playing on Sy-Fy or AMC...

Of course, the real wait is almost over.. Walking Dead premeirs in a couple of weeks!

9. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

I like watching the older stuff TCM airs last year they had Hammer horror marathons on Friday nights I hope they do something like that again.

10. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

I have that whole DVD set. It's well worth the price, if you like old B&W horror movies. I Walked With a Zombie and The Body Snatcher are particularly good.

11. Sindatur

I think I started I walked with a Zombie once, but, never finished it. I think I have that somewhere on a set with about 10 movies on it.

Body Snatcher? Is that the full title, or are you referring to Invasion of the Body Snatchers? I've got a colorized version of it, that was on VHS, and I transferred to DVD, love that one.

ETA: Ah, I see, 1945 The Body Snatcher - Karloff and Lugosi, appears to be a Frankenstein Movie
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037549/

12. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What I'll be watching leading up to and on Halloween, from my own pile 'o' flicks:

30 Days Of Night: proper frigging vampires

Trick 'R' Treat: fun Halloween-themed flick

The Legend Of Hell House: creepy ghost story

The Blair Witch Project: watch this every year

Sleepy Hollow: best Hammer film made by Tim Burton

Hocus Pocus: another great Halloween movie

Dead In 3 Days: intelligent and scary slasher flick

House Of The Devil: great 80s horror throwback

'Hush' from Buffy TVS: classic chilling episode; also very funny.

Sean

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  13. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Not Frankenstein. It's about body snatching for anatomical dissection in early 19th-century Scotland.

When I saw it, I was surprised at the quality of the historical research that went into it.

14. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watch a ton of horror movies year-round, but there is something extra fun about October anyway.

15. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For Halloween, I tend to watch the horror classics (the 1930s' mostly). They were much more atmospheric than the more modern movies (which are not scary, just gory).

16. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Bride of Frankenstein. One of the very best.