The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

Early Trek Uhura tried to get Spock to have some sort of relationship. It never developed. Then there was Chapel, technically Chapel's started in the Naked Time but Naked Time was produced about 10 or so episodes in.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought that myself.

Of course, even now many couples choose not to know in advance.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Most likely not.

It makes far more sense that the parents wanted to be surprised and elected not to know the sex of their child. Sort of like how many parents do it today.

;)

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Never seen "Yesteryear" (TAS), in which Spock Prime posed as Cousin Selek to help prevent Young Spock's death in a rehearsal of his Kahs-wan ordeal?

Two Picards meet in "Time Squared".

Two O'Briens meet in "Visionary".

5. Therin of Andor

Exactly my point.

6. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Less crazy in here than I thought. Although the bit of craziness I do see is about what I'd expected.

There are 57 pages of comments at the time I'm writing this. It would now take as long to read the thread as to see the film again. No need for me to rehash the rehashed rehash. So ...

... I'll just say: Excellent. The 350 of you who already voted the same way when I wrote this already know why.

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quite frankly, I think they have done what was considered impossible. Unite most of the hardcore fans, and the unfamiliar public in a successful marriage of new adventure.

J.

8. jazzstick

jazzstick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Amen brother!

April I don't think anybody could say it better!

Like many many of you I've grown up with Star Trek, starting with The Next Generation and branching out to all shows, it has made me the person I am today and fostered a love of science Fiction, sociology and the Human condition!

Keeping an open mind I went to the new movie last night, I was more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt to this "reboot" of a show I hold so dear! After seeing it I can say without a doubt that the people who wrote this movie took everything that was good in Star Trek, the characters, themes, plot, acting and removed it, replacing it with glitz, glamor, special effects and tits and ass! We are now very far removed from the high ideals and concepts of the original show. I always took comfort in knowing that Star Trek was a mirror for the society in which we lived in from racism to war to the human experience, theirs was nothing this show didn't hit on! Sadly this movie is no exception, only this time its a mirror for a society that loves flashing special effects, no substance, plot or quality acting as well as no social or political commentary on current issues! Its a movie for those who don't want to think and have a 15 second attention span! I guess this is what passes for good entertainment these days!

They finally did, they dumb down Star Trek!

What a sad day this is!

Come on Brandean! Lets go to the moving pictures and see them shiny ships with that pointy ear fella!

God help us!

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're a cadet. Being so bold on your first step is probably not wise.

J.

10. Therin of Andor

Apple Macintosh computer and Michelob beer in ST IV?

11. Admiral Buzzkill

No, they didn't. :)

12. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Mmmmm.

Tits and Ass.

Yeoman Rand.

Gigity.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless it's not really his "first" post here.

Just block Captain Robert April and that should cut your reading down by maybe a third. Ignore all the comments about his comments and that probably cuts it in half. :)

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

While visiting 1986.

;)

15. jazzstick

jazzstick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes god forbid anybody shouldn't agree with what you and everybody else thinks!! That would be too dangerous! I'm entitled to my point of view too!

16. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I grew up on the TOS, and I voted excellent as well!!!!

:techman: I recognize an awesome movie when I see one!

Well done Abrams!!!

17. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Yes. Yes you are.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

While diminishing the value of content here hardly at all. :)

19. flcat

flcat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ummm...depending on who you read, all Roddenberry wanted to do was be a bigshot TV producer and make money. And if Harlan Ellison is to be believed, Roddenberry was basically a hack who was more than happy to take credit for things that worked in Trek and blame everyone else and their dog for things that didn't -- and I'm not trying to imply that Ellison doesn't have his own image-concious axe to grind in all this, either.
    But I think even you would have to admit that for the two seasons Roddenberry had a heavy hand in TNG, it was awful.

Personally, I think as long as his name was on it, Roddenberry would be perfectly happy to watch this new film rake in the moolah...mindless action or not.

That said, I think a lot of your points are valid. This movie was basically Star Wars set in the Trek universe, but it was an entertaining movie...it did have a lot of energy, and a lot of people (especially young people) who wouldn't be caught DEAD admitting to watching anything Trek-related are loving it.

I think everyone gets that hardcore fans like you (in baseball they're called purists), don't like the idea of rebooting the franchise. A lot of people felt that way when Battlestar Galactica was rebooted too. You let everyone know you didn't like it. You listed your reasons. In fact, I happen to be in agreement with you on several of them. Fine. However, no need to continually throw a wet blanket on those who enjoyed the new movie. They're allowed. Unless you can pull a "Nero" and go back in time and do something that will prevent J.J. Abrams from ever getting into the entertainment industry, what's done is done.

My advise, quit ranting...pull out your DVDs of TOS and enjoy "real" Trek to your hearts' content.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  20. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

So I figure I will write a quick review of the film. I saw it again today, and from the moment the Paramount stars enter the screen to the dedication at the end, this film was pure joy to me. The best thing to see was how energetic the cast and production crew of this film was. You could tell they had fun making this film. A few points:

-Some thought Ben Cross was wooden as Sarek, I thought he was excellent. The scene were he tells Spock that the reason he married his mother was because he loved her was very touching.

- The opening sequence was just incredible to watch, from the acting (kudos to Chris Helmsworth and Jennifer Morrison) to the direction of the battle sequences and the music played over the whole thing.

- I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sound design in this whole movie. The weapons feel and sound like destructive devices, and the way that they just tear through the ships are astounding. You feel the power of these devices as they go off.

- The sequence when the ship warps into Vulcan space and flies into the remains of the battle group is probably my favorite sequence of the film. The sheer chaos of it all is astounding. The voices overlapping each other yelling orders and the sound of the engines trying to slow down and maneuver around the debris is just incredible. And it was actually quite sad because only moments before, these ships were filled with the classmates of the Enterprise crew who was just at the academy. I really haven't been that saddened by a scene in Trek for a long time, because just minutes before you saw all these bright eyed kids ready to go explore the galaxy, and now they had met their fate in the worst way possible, in the coldness of space.

-The whole cast was just terrific, and the casting was just spot on. I loved Spock especially though, because through the whole thing, even though he was emotionless you could just tell he had a little smile underneath it all until the events at Vulcan.

- The Kobyashi Maru scene was PRICELESS. The swagger Kirk has as he orders everyone around, and how the rest of the crew, and the testers, are like WTF is he doing. I especially loved when they torpedoed the Klingons, Kirk making the gun with his finger and going PEW PEW PEW! That and the apple he was eating was a nice tough to TWOK.

I guess I will write more later, but I just can't get over how great that movie was. The only bad thing was that it went by so fast, and now we have to wait another two years for the sequel.