Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

2. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Here's a fun one:

3. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Popped in the third disc of the first season, saw that Sarah Douglas guest starred in 'Deathwalker'.

I don't have a quote to go with that, I just thought it was cool.

:D

4. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

:lol: Did you seriously think I was gone?

No...I've been here all along. I was actually wondering why you never contacted me when you got back. Assuming you are who I think you are. ;) :lol:

5. PKTrekGirl

Wow...I actually find this quote rather depressing.

But then I don't deal with loss very well. I don't think it's easy at all to stay detached like that, where you just 'enjoy them for what they are'....and just shrug it off when they leave. :(

I suppose it would be nice, because if you had this philosophy, no one could hurt you. But it feels kinda...I don't know, empty to me. :(

Anyway, probably much too heavy of a comment. But that's the way I feel.

6. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

wow. happy days :D

you know what they say:

But I will admit, that the part of me that was away, very much missed the part of you that had stayed.

7. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I don't think it's a matter of shrugging it off, though, because the message acknowledges that it's painful. One of the messages of B5 is that people who've 'walked the path beside us' are never really gone as long as we remember them. I like it because it says to not hold on to a relationship longer than is good for the people involved.

Jan

8. Neroon

I generally take it to mean that it's a fact of life that we all change. To fight against it and to dwell upon it is to fight the inevitable, so just accept it and move on. You don't have to forget those friendships, but neither do you need to hold on to them desperately

9. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

No one could realistically suggest that there's anything easy about having people we care about depart from our lives, by whatever means. I know I can't "shrug off" such things (to my cost). But things change, people change (for better or worse) for whatever reasons, and that quote from "Objects at Rest" simply says that such things are part of everyone's life. "The process is painful, but often necessary", because sometimes to stay just means even more pain. In any case, it's better to remember the good about the other person(s) and move on. That's difficult...but necessary.

10. PKTrekGirl

Why thank you very much! :)

We had alot of good times back in the day. Glad you are back (well, I guess you've been back for months, but you know what I mean :p ).

We need to catch up! It's been a while! Like what? 3 or 4 years??? Hard to believe!

11. PKTrekGirl

Actually, in some cases I wish I *could* forget them. :p

12. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

i was going to say, "no way," but then i realized that it actually has been that long :eek: where does the time go???

13. Neroon

Gotta love Lyta's wild side. :devil:

14. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

can i just say how much i love londo.

[​IMG]

and how very sad i get everytime i think of how he ended...

[​IMG]

maybe life is fair. that really is just so damn depressing...

15. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Londo was fantastic.

One of my favourite quotes:

"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics."

16. Neroon

^ :lol:

Yeah, that is vintage Londo, to be sure. One of my favorites of his requires a little bit of context:
    . That's from "Sic Transit Vir", where he's describing the insects that have infested his quarters.

17. Neroon

Seeing as this is in the DS9 forum, I was trying to come up with a topic of discussion to tie into that rather important fact. :D

Did DS9 have a counterpart of any kind to B5's Londo Mollari? I'm not sure that it did, although perhaps Quark comes the closest with his vacillations between right and wrong.

18. Katrine

Katrine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But, for all his faults, Londo always had the good of Centauri & "taking them back to the stars". He always had that forefront in his goals/agendas. & if those ideals coincided with his personal quset for power, so be it.

But I loved Londo's character development & I can't think of another actor who could've come close to this feat.

I remember thinking when he went into the Council Chambers after the bombing of Narn & he insisted that G'Kar be removed from the Council. For all his screaming & demanding, you could see he was afraid & full of self loathing over what he had done, or helped put into motion. Such complexities in one character. Gotta love Londo.

19. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

Quark very well could have become the heart of DS9, but for some reason, the writers never let him rise above a comic character.

Many of Jammer's Reviews make this point better than i could:

the problem, though, is that unlike the rich and textured culture of the Centauri, their proud yet tragic trajectory (which, of course, mirrors Londo's own character), with the ferengi:

And that's probably the difference between Star Trek - which, like root beer, is so sweet, and bubbly, and happy, whereas B5 is like scotch - complex, at times bitter, certainly not for everyone, but if you enjoy it, it packs a fucking massive punch.

The thing is, in B5, Centauri prime tried to change (Emperor Turhan was a great man); Londo did not. But unlike Quark, Londo did something about it, and everyone payed the price. Especially Londo.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I would say either Garek or Dumar instead of Quark.