"RUN! HE HAS CRYSTAL EYES!!"

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Kelso, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Bones_McCoy21

Bones_McCoy21 Commander Red Shirt

This is my story. When I was five I watched my fist episode The Menagerie Part 1 (Part two came on after the first one) I was so entranced I had no Idea who the characters (It was especially disallusioning when it comes to kirk) so the blend of the introduction and the lack of kirk's womanizing made it a very good episode.

2. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Our girls grew up on TNG and still have an interest in it. Our older daughter wrote a senior year honors English paper comparing Data to Lenny from Of Mice and Men that got an A+ and a reading for the class. Thinking of it now, I wish I had a copy handy.

3. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

I have a tape of episodes that hold the first episodes I ever saw of the series. A Taste of Armageddon was my first episode. Looking in retrospective, I think it was a good episode to start off with. It had plenty of action, a display of Spock's abilities (mind meld through the wall, nerve pinch), a nice display of the main characters (Scotty in command of the ship and he got to play off of McCoy), and most important of all, a lesson to be learned ("Knowing that you're not going to kill... TODAY!"). The subsequent episodes it held were Space Seed, This Side of Paradise, The Doomsday Machine, Mirror Mirror and The Trouble with Tribbles. I dubbed them "the essentials." I like to pop in the tape every now and then to revisit some nostalgia and the commercials that came with it. Since it was recorded at the time when The Next Generation was going to debut, there are promos for the first couple of episodes, including the series premiere that simply used footage from the films.

4. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Kelso, definitely keep 'em coming. It's such a blast hearing of your daughter's reaction to good ol' TOS. :D I'm sort of picturing her like the little 3 year old girl who commented on Star Wars, that became a viral video on You Tube.

So true! As a kid, I'd also thought the Horta's appearance resembled a pizza.

LOL on the tricorder! Yeah, why order Spock or Sulu to check for readings; why can't he use one himself? :lol:

I'm going to try introducing my 11 year old niece to Star Trek. It'll be hard, because of the relatively primitive special effects, but who knows... Probably best to start with Shore Leave.

[​IMG]
    What's an Italian flag doing on that building? Looks like a pasta factory. :guffaw:

5. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't wait to hear what she thinks of Alexander in "Plato's Stepchildren." And as a 9 year old I loved "Spock's Brain"! The wilder the better, when I was a child.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

My first ep was The Doomsday Machine when I was 4 years old. I was terrified, absolutely frozen in fear. I still get a whiff of that feeling when I hear the TOS scary music.

I am proud to say that my kids have seen ALL of Trek. Maybe a little patchy on TAS but otherwise all of it. I get pretty irritated when I read on these forums people saying they can't hack TOS because it's "too old" when I've got a teenage boy who reveres it.

Start them young, suck them in.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

An Italian flag = pizza factory would be appropriate on the home planet of the pizza monsters. Maybe that was a very esoteric clue?

PS, if anyone can see a Horta hatchling in that photo, your eyes are better than mine. ;)

8. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Btw, sorry about the huge image above. I just referenced it from a post on the first page of this very thread... but apparently it is so large that it causes horizontal scrolling challenges for some people's screen resolutions. I can't edit it any longer, as the time for that has lapsed.

If someone here has the rights/mod-power do it, here's the image to substitute:

[​IMG]

9. jaggman

jaggman Cadet Newbie

Keep'em coming guys...I tend to make my own snippets as well as Captain Kirk BWAHAHA!

10. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

Here's my daughter back in '06 when I exposed her to "Arena" for the first time

[​IMG]

she's never been quite the same ever since :wtf:

11. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    ^ LOL. Nice.

12. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spocked, was your daughter just "hamming it up" for the camera, or was she genuinely distressed by Wah Chang's iconic costume?

Sincerely,

Bill

13. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

Pure ham :lol: I posted this pic way back in this forum when TOS remastered was brandy new. I think I asked her to show me some silliness for the thread ;)

14. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pleased she was not genuinely traumatized by the epi'; but I'll admit I'm just a smidgen disappointed. It would be nice to think these designs could still invoke the "willies" rather than derision.

Sincerely,

Bill