The Last Ship - Discussion Thread (spoilers possible)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Scout101, Jun 23, 2014.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tex shares his cabin with Lt. Greene so naturally, since Greene takes care of the dog, it calls that cabin home as well.

And yeah, where has the dog been all season? Is the Nathan James so short-staffed they're training the dog to work other areas of the ship? Or do all the crew discuss their personal problems with the dog, like Tex was doing? Is the dog the ship's counselor? Hell, now I'm picturing the TNG bridge, with Chandler in Picard's chair, Slattery in Riker's, and the dog in Deanna Troi's chair.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The dog is going to retake the ship.

Once he was a Navy SEAL K9 who didn't like to play by the rules, but after biting his commanding officer, the only rating he could hold was ship's mascot. But when terrorists seize the crew, he's going to show them that they're barking up the wrong tree, because someone's been a baaaaad dog.

Under Leash: Dog Territory

3. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

Under Siege is so good. I'd watch the dog version. Get Segal to do the voice.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Easier said than done. Some of Seagal's DTV movies are so bad he won't even do his own looping, so suddenly his character will have a completely different voice.

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

How are they ever going to find the time to book a megastar like Seagal between all his other engagements? They'll have to go second tier and get someone like Jeff Speakman or Michael Dudikoff. You know, still able to bring gravitas to the vocal performance, but a little more available.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

They could go for irony and get Chuck "Lone Wolf" Norris.

7. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Last Ship: Opinions?

Watched the first four episodes. I've been really impressed with the show's production values and intelligent approach to its plot.

I'm sure others will be able to pick holes in it but it has a lot of elements that I've often said would improve other shows and movies including:

1. A sensible approach to quarantine protocols (Prometheus take note);
    2. A gay character whose homosexuality is entirely superfluous to the plot;
    3. Resource management as a dramatic device;
    4. A decent spread of male a female characters in varying roles;
    6. Rhona Mitra;
    7. Characters who don't have to act like brainless idiots to end up in peril.

Is anybody else enjoying it?

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Re: The Last Ship: Opinions?

I'll echo what I said in the original thread. It's the best Star Trek show of the last 20 years.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the whole first season, but never got around to posting in the thread. It wasn't one of my favorite shows or anything, but I liked it. If it comes back for another season I plan on sticking with it.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should have set it a hundred years ago and called the series "The Last McSteam Ship".

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably one of the best shows I've watched all year. Of course, for competition it has Doctor Who, Defiance and Z Nation, so maybe that's a horrible sentence to go in on.

But yeah, it really is an awesome show and I eagerly await the next season.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a pretty cool show, at least on a guilty pleasure level. It didn't really do a great job selling the idea that this was truly a bleak, post-apocalyptic world they were living in (the show never got serious or heavy enough for that), but I really enjoyed the inside look at life on a destroyer, and all the naval customs.

And most of all it was refreshing to see a group of TV characters responding to situations in a really smart, efficient, and professional way.

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I was hooked within the first ten minutes.

15. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

You could def see the Michael Bay in the show, especially in the pilot. But unlike a lot of his stuff, I thought it was a solid mix of action sequences and story. I had a lot of fun with it this summer.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd think it's a pretty cheap show to make. Filmed mainly in mothballed ships, not much in the way of effects required, largely unknown cast.

Interesting concept, unhurried approach, well made and well written.

I'm enjoying this more than, well, most things on T.V. at the moment...

17. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoops. I did glance back about 4 pages but the thread was over a month old. Mind you, I don't want any spoilers. I agree, it treads the line between NuBSG and Star Trek in terms of character depiction. It is definitely more along the lines of what I would like to see in a modern Trek show - less magical technology and more space is dangerous.

18. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Only Captain Chandler and his crew can save the Alpaha Quadrant.

19. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Good Show. But I find the idea of a CO and the Executive Officer going together on a mission more Star Trek than actual Naval practice.

Especially when there is plenty of security and Navy Seals personnel on board trained for such missions.

20. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Intelligent, well-paced, well-proped, well-written, and Adam Baldwin, who grew up 30 miles from me and was in "My Bodyguard", a movie I needed to see at a terrible time in my life. What's not to like?!?!