Design the Next Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shikarnov, Nov 17, 2010.

1. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think it looks too flat IMO, especially given the scale that I image it must be. I suppose it might look a little flat from the front, but I kind of prefer my saucers flatter as opposed to being taller. I think it makes them look sleeker.

Yeah, the tail does look maybe a little out of place. I suspect that is why bobafett made the pylons sweep forward; to complement the pointy tail-end. In spite of people saying this makes her look like a chicken in a frying pan, I just can't seem to see it, which might be why I don't mind forward-swept wings/pylons.

2. bobafett

bobafett Ensign Newbie

HI yes the design above was the orignial design but like a few people here, I too didnt entirely like it. So I took some elements and made it into this new designhttp://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90024&d=1303690180
    and here is a close up http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90250&d=1304823516
    There are similarities to the saucer except I made the usual placement for the impulse engines into the shuttlebays which gives them more clearance as well as extra protection to the new impulse engines at the far end of the saucer. The secondary hull 'ribs' also house shuttlebays so to give them clearance of the nacelle struts. The vertical deflector allows room on either side as well as access from the rear cargo bay. I tried to make the struts and nacelles look like one piece and taper them to a point to avoid the chicken wing look. Since its a drawing there are of course a few issues with perspective but at least you get the idea.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  3. Tiberion1701

Tiberion1701 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ah yes now I understand...

Yeah I basically like all of that one, except something about the overall shape of the nacelle/struts. I can guess how that separates and bet it looks cool.

I think the big outside curve on the nacelle keeps them looking a bit too wingish, especially with the red collectors looking like talons, but I definitely like them being a solid molded piece. It's probably the angle, as well.

4. Probert

Probert Starfleet Design Red Shirt

A lot of your ship seems to be devoted to four separate shuttlebays, according to their distance apart. The design looks like it provides nice areas for center-line bays in each hull resulting in (in my opinion) a cleaner layout. That would also provide on-axis landing & launch corridors verses their current off-angled attitude... a little tricky to navigate.

Beyond that, and a few other details, you have a good entry and easy to understand why it 'placed'.

5. Fuzzy Modem

Fuzzy Modem Commander Red Shirt

I'd also note that

are all (as of yet) unregistered.

(I would not recommend visiting enterprise-f.com.)

You have something of a golden ticket here, but the buzz around the contest is already dying down. It will spike again when Cryptic releases shots of the wip model, and again when it's added to the game.

It would be advantageous to have a dedicated site for related material before then.

Just a thought ;)

6. Tiberion1701

Tiberion1701 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

And that could be tomorrow: Link

7. bobafett

bobafett Ensign Newbie

Thanks to you all for the great feedback. And many thanks Mr Probert for your advice I will be sure to make the changes requested and hope it lives up to your expectations.

8. Probert

Probert Starfleet Design Red Shirt

Just a few observations,... but, you're welcome. The important thing here is to have a lot of fun with it,... do a lot of 'what-ifing' while keeping practical operational issues in mind.

Andrew-

9. Ihlecreations

Ihlecreations Captain Captain

Hey all quick render of an idea for the nacelles I am working on. [​IMG]

10. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Make the warp grille area wider, or at least put in a longer/shallower gradient. It just looks way too off balance at the moment, and although the E-J had the similar bulb up front and sprout out the back approach, this is still a fair few ships away from the J.

The side view looks good though.

11. Fuzzy Modem

Fuzzy Modem Commander Red Shirt

I disagree. I think you can massage the lines a little bit, but the premise is sound. It looks slightly snake like, and that appeals to me. :bolian:

There is a triangle shape above and directly behind the bussard collectors. It could use a little smoothing. I'd experiment by trying the lines concave and then convex and comparing the two.

[edit] If you're worried about balance, you can always make them slightly longer.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like how the top view of the Bussard collectors almost looks the Star Fleet arrow head :)

13. Ihlecreations

Ok this idea is gone, it's to similar to others and as I look at it to simplistic, mind you I did in a rush last night before bed.

14. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Don't take my words too harshly man. Sorry If I came across as such. Personally I think you've got a neat core of a warp nacelle, I just think it needs some bits built on to the sides to make it more distinguished.

15. Ihlecreations

Dac, it wasn't you. I just have been sketching up some other ideas and this is not what I want.

16. Ihlecreations

17. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like how the tiny fins come out of the body work of the back end of the nacelle, and I like the cut of that nose cone. Not to sure about the blue glowy grill bit, but I'm personally none too fond of the way it was done on the Ent-E, so defer to other opinions.

18. Ihlecreations

Well I was trying to keep the design element of the E here and there. I have a few ideas on other ways of the grills look.

19. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks great to me

20. Ihlecreations