Expensive tickets

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

$120 for orchestra seats for Spamalot, National Theater in D.C.- and that was cheap. I was lucky to get that price.

My tickets for Wicked in NYC are about $150- not sure where I'll be sitting, but that was the cheapest available. Probably the nosebleed section!

For sports- $55 for a Nationals game. Pretty close to first base.

In college, I got to see a couple of Broncos and Nuggets games for free. The marching/pep bands were invited to play for them. :D

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably the most expensive tickets I bought were $150/each tickets to see Billy Joel and Elton John in concert together. Awesome concert!

Other than that, the tickets usually top out at around $100. Often less than that but the price become "notable" in my mind if exceeds $100. That wouldn't rule them out, but it has to be for something really good. Just recently got front row seats for Cirque du Soliel for just about $100, totally worth it!

Mr Awe

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Which show did you see?

When we go to CDS we always buy the Tapis Rouge tickets. The pre-party and intermission desserts are excellent.

My daughter and I are seeing Ovo in February. Those tickets were $250 each.

4. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

Face value ~$175 for decent lower-level endzone tickets to a Ravens game. That was back in 2001; the same tickets are probably about $250 now.

5. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I can appreciate sporting events or concerts as social events. They're less about what you're seeing than who you're seeing it with. Thus I'd never bother with better-than-average seats. (Also wouldn't go for the dirt cheap option, though.)

6. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    While I was watching that, I wondered if you were there. To bad the Metrodome had to go out on such a sour note.

Question though - Will the Vikings be playing there next year or are they getting a new field too?

I think the most expensive ticket I've bought so far was for the Black Sabbath/Slayer/Megadeath New Year's Eve concert with two other big name bands (forget who though) at Bank One Ballpark about 10 years ago. Don't remember the exact cost.

7. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I missed out on their concert at Nationals Park this summer. My sister and I really wanted to go. :scream: And we could have gotten tickets. Just didn't get around to it.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They want a new stadium, yes. But they don't have one yet.

The Vikings (as was the case with the Twins) are getting screwed via the terms of their lease at the Dump. The team gets no money from luxury boxes and only a small percentage of concessions sales. The Vikings want to tear down the Dump and build a new stadium in its place (they would probably play at TCF Bank Stadium, new home of the Golden Gophers, during construction). But for now they have to stay where they are. :( Linky

9. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

We saw Alegria. The travelling show came through our town recently. I've never seen CDS before and was quite blownaway. Very impressive! Not sure how that show compares to others but we were very happy!

Mr Awe

10. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My wife got two free courtside tickets for a Thunder game tonight from work. I think they're playing phoenix. It was something like a $400 value. I can't go, so she'll be taking her sister. Neither of us like sports, but her boss called her over the weekend and told her the vice president of Cox was pleased with her performance and had awarded her the tickets, so you can't pass that up!
    Anyway, I don't know that I've spent over a hundred bucks for any kind of concert. I think I spent 80 bucks a pop on some Ozzfest tickets in 2004, but I don't consider that really expensive, because I got to see Black Sabbath, Slayer, Judas Priest and tons more for that price, so that was a good deal. I think I paid 60 bucks for Motley Crue tickets.

11. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    ^My last tickets for the Coyotes were acquired in a similar manner. The owner of the company I work for had season tickets as part of a sponsorship deal. When they decided that they weren't going to the game, they rememberred that I like watching hockey, so they called and offered me their 4 tickets for that night at no charge. The face value on the tickets was something like $80 or $90 each.

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't tend to spend big money on one-off events like concerts or sporting events (or even generally on lots of vacations/holidays), preferring to spend on items I can use many times. The exception to this rule are restaurants, and I've been known to run some up big bills there. But I don't think that quite falls under the spirit of the thread.

13. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr Commodore Commodore

Opposite here ~ for the last couple of years we've had events/trips away as birthday/Christmas pressies. We've done Les Mis in the West End, Waiting for Godot with Patrick Stewart, and Bill Bailley live. The tickets, the transport and the accommodation do add up but I consider the excitement of the build up, the planning of the trip and the memories to be invaluable ~ especially with a great friend who you don't see that often. Oh and the gigs were good too ~ forgot about The Main Event! And things like this you only kick yourself if you miss. Money is for enjoying.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  14. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I think about £30 on seeing a stand up comedian... I don't remember who, so it was probably something I should regret.

15. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Probably about 100,000 lire to see Aida at the Arena di Verona, 10 years ago. At the time, I was a penniless student and it seemed like a lot of money. :bolian:

16. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

The last sentence I can wholeheartedly agree with... I just feel a slight sense of waste when I spend it on one-offs. When I spend it on indulgences that last a while I don't have that sense. For instance, I suspect few on the board spend what I do on clothes, but for me it's not excessive because I get to enjoy them for the many years that they last. Whereas a holiday would be over in a couple of weeks.

What's definitely important is enjoying it, though! And that just varies for different people.

17. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was there. Had I waited, I could have gotten those tickets for less than half of what I paid, but I wanted to make sure I had tickets. Glad I got to see the final game at the Dome, but I'm looking forward to the new stadium. I'll probably overpay for tickets there, too.

The Vikes have a contract to play in the Metrodome until 2011. After that, they'll probalby have to negotiate a new lease. They're trying to get a new stadium, but so far they've gotten nowhere.

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Alegria is a good one. If you ever go to Las Vegas, check out Ka at the MGM. Of all the shows I've seen, that's my favorite. We probably paid $300 a ticket for that.

19. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr Commodore Commodore

Oh honey, I think we all know about your fetish ;) But you buy expensive clothes, you appreciate expensive clothes and you enjoy expensive clothes ~ and you look damn good in them too :D Quality and style will always last.

I enjoy remembering smoked salmon and poached eggs for breakfast after a night in a four poster bed in Brighton... each to their own I think :)

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So would that qualify as salmon chanted evening then? :guffaw: ;)