DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

When did I comment on my concern over the writer? I noted it was the characters, Prime specifically, I was interested in. There is no flaw in my preference as stated. You didn't understand my post it seems.

As to the nuDCU strange alien alphabet code popping up that is interesting and should be something to follow. Hopefully it turns out to be worth finding out about...in the first big mega nuDCU crossover event!!! Buy 'em all.

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yay. Another :;()$&@ crossover. Already.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Kind of to be expected.

4. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interlac sort of annoys me. Why even bother with a fake language if it's just going to be a substitution code? I mean, I understand nonsense symbols--that requires no effort--and I understand being a total Tolkein/Okuda level dork and making your own language--that actually works and provides super-nerds something to do--but I don't understand simple substitution for English, which has some of the effort and none of the reward.

5. Captain Craig

Last night
    Animal Man #5 - The Rot is a very persistent foe/entity that like it's name implies is spreading. They are really after Buddy's 8yr old daughter Maxine, still, and insist she has untold power of which she is unaware and they want to harness it. They trick her into aiding her dad whose in trouble and her interaction causes chaos to which the Baker family flees with Buddy's last words of the issue being, "Only the Swamp Thing can help us now."

I still can't say I'm sold on Buddy and Animal Man or maybe this is just an odd first solo exposure to the character. I admit I picked it up cause I wanted to try Animal Man out as a solo book. No crossovers or universe shattering events getting in the way. However, I still don't feel I'm getting to know Buddy. I keep reading cause it's evident it's going to tie into Swamp Thing, a character and book I do really like. Made very clear on the last page. I have Swamp Thing #5 to read as well.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Comics used to be read primarily by younger children. Simple substitution ciphers are the first type of "code" that most kids play around with, so they think it's cool.

7. Admiral_Young

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus lets face it its not like Prime is going to stay dead.

9. Captain Craig

^^^
    Of course not. Doesn't mean I have to buy the issues till he returns though.
    Which even if it's only a 6 ish arc in both books that's 12x$3 I'm saving or not spending on comics anyway. I'm guessing it'll be a bit longer in each though.

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually Prime didn't even die in that issue.

It was more about the death of the Prime persona.

11. Admiral_Young

12. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    For those who didn't catch it, the article mentions that Batman and Detective Comics will be raised to $3.99 for "story reasons." This will increase the page count from 32 pages to 40 pages.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as The Flash doesn't increase in price such as this, I'll be happy.

14. Admiral_Young

Is the Flash good? I know some have praised the art in the book...I've been hesitant due to the way Johns has been writing Barry in Justice League, and yeah I know he isn't the writer of the solo book. Now that I've dropped a few dozen books I might attempt a couple of others.

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I like it. It is worth it for the art, but I'm enjoying the story and direction of the book thus far.

16. Admiral_Young

I might wait for the trade to come out. Speaking of trades...I was in Chapters today picking up Scott Snyder's Batman Black Mirror (Dick's last hurrah as Batman) in hardcover when I saw the GIFREAKINOURMOUS New 52 Omnibus sitting on the shelf. Rao...is this thing huge. I needed both hands to pick it off of the shelf. It's gotta be at least ten or so pounds...I'm not exaggerating. I thought to myself...you've gotta be really into the New 52 or have a lot of money to burn to pick this baby up. It is an impressive looking thing though. Easily the largest omnibus I've seen so far. I'll be passing on it though. Just too expensive.

17. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. Manapul and Berco... Berto... the colorist are at least as good as Geoff Johns, and presumably they make much prettier pictures.

Enjoy your sketches, script excerpts, and random self-promoting bullshit, Bat-fans!

Yo, Dennis, I think you're probably right about the Interlac thing. When I was six or seven that probably would've been pretty neat/made me feel clever.

18. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've really been enjoying The Flash, in a lot of ways it reminds me of some of the better 80's and 90's comics, the ones where the villain was the villain, and wasn't as overhyped or overpowered as some villains tend to be today. Mob Rule is a threat, but not in the way that a lot of contemporary villains are.

Barry is written quite well. Manapaul and Buccaletto(?) paint him as a geek, but not the total dweeb he has been portrayed as before. I definitely think Patti is the better choice as a love interest for him than Iris.

19. Captain Craig

Read Swamp Thing #5

It seems that as much as The Green wants him to "die" and fully become the monster looking Swamp Thing that he still has some control of The Green. He displays that this issue. I also was glad to see him and Abigail find their romance after 3 issues of them trying to ignore it. Overall good issue.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quick mostly off topic question, but this just popped into my head and this is a DC question: Netflix has the original 1982 Swamp Thing movie streaming, is it worth watching?