Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

We ALL want the episodes back. Until we have the next batch of good news we have to settle for The Ian Levine Show.

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ It's a very distant runner up though!

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Kardashian isn't nearly as whiny. ;)

4. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Levine is funny, but he does feel like how most of the Little Britain characters felt by the final season of that show, he's got one joke and it's been more than run into the ground by now. ;)

5. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, on the Planet Mondas forum, he says otherwise:

He also says that he's pretty certain that Morris has had 90+ episodes in his possession, and that since the last two years he's possibly found them all.

6. Candlelight

It makes no sense that there are 81 episodes still to be returned. Unless Enemy and Web were released as a test and the rest are being worked on but if so it's being kept damn quiet.

7. Emperor-Tiberius

Reading further into his Mondas forum posts (and it is a chore, I have to say), there's a conspiracy theory going around that the rest were offered, but the price was too low, and are holding out for more money. And that, according to other sources, 20% of the episodes Morris found are in a very, very bad condition, maybe irreparable.

Honestly, I don't know. I just hope whatever's going on, will lead to the episodes getting released sooner rather than later.

8. Candlelight

Planet Mondas is a place I'd love to visit but I'd just want to smack most of the people there. Some of the theories I hear coming out of the woodwork drives me bonkers.

Personally, saying there's 81 episodes sitting in Phil Morris' wardrobe is a bit much.

Saying there are 7 more (the much-touted Marco Polo discovery) is more believable, though again someone would have to explain to me why it's taken so long to release.

9. Mr Awe

Again, I wish Morris would categorically deny this if it's not true. Sure, Levine wouldn't believe it but most of us rationale people would know not to get our hopes up. Morris is letting this fester . . . unless it's true.

Mr Awe

10. Emperor-Tiberius

Its just become an ugly business, it seems. But only IF Morris has this many episodes, which I agree would be curious, at best, as to why would that number be kept hidden for this long.

11. Candlelight

Why? Why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why why should he???

If every dickhead comes out with some new rumour every fives minutes and Phil had to respond to each and every one, he would never get any work done!!!

12. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not just about Doctor Who though. He's openly stated he has other BBC material. If he's not returned that, whats to say he's not holding on to more Doctor Who?

One of these was the only known copy the second episode of popular UK double act Morecambe and Wise. He returned a ruined copy to see if any one could recover anything from it, but after several attempts they had to give up - it was too far gone. He then says he thinks he has another copy!

They could have spent a fortune restoring a poor copy whilst all the time he had a better one.

The thing is he knows there is great interest in the Doctor Who and a few other gems. He knows the BBC will make a lot of money out of them. But what about the other 90% he's rumoured to have discovered, that would never see the light of day? Securing a deal for the whole collection rather than letting the BBC pick and choose the highlights would seem a good reason to hold the Doctor Who to ransom.

13. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

NO!!! [Kirk to Khan mode on!].

He passed over the copy he found. They tried out possible last ditch strategies to recover it and eventually gave up. He now says he's pretty confident that he'll be able to recover a second copy. Until it is actually found and checked out there is always an outside chance that it will also turn out to be too far gone. Hopefully not.

But no, he has not kept a good copy up his sleeve while letting the BBC, etc, waste time on a dud one. Why on earth would anyone do that, unless they're a top level member of the Brotherhood of Evil Gits (who's got a few idle moments to fill after doodling rude cartoons on Vladimir Putin's rejected application for membership)?

14. Mr Awe

Why? It's very simple, so the rumor doesn't fester. And, who said anything about "each and every one"?! One good, clear categorical denial would do a lot of good.

Mr Awe

15. diankra

Not strictly on-topic here, but the thread which was discussing the BBC's more serious 1960s/70s sister series to Doctor Who, Out of the Unknown is now moribund, so mentioning here that is getting all its surviving episodes released in September, with slightly earlier releases for the terrifying children's serial The Changes, and the SF Play for Today Red Shift.
    That's something we thought we'd never see, what with much of OOTU being adapted from stories by classic SF authors whose work had since been reoptioned by film producers, but it's obviously been worked out. Leaves only Doomwatch unreleased from the BBC's first golden age of SF (oh, and that short-lived and little surviving Counterstrike, though you think the BBC might try to market it by an early role for David Jason).

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  16. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was simplifying things. But regardless if he's pretty confident he can locate a 2nd copy of such a rare item, that certainly suggests there's more out there.

Trying to gauge the fanbase to see if its worth aquiring more, perhaps?

17. diankra

Remotely possible, but there's not much OotU that's it's remotely realistic to recover - some from seasons one and two, but I believe that if seasons three and four were sold overseas, then it was on colour VT, and no film copies were made.
    Survival breakdown for the four seasons is:
    Season 1: 10 exist out of 12 (mostly recovered from BBC Enterprises in 1978 along with the early Doctor Who stories)
    Season 2: 4 exist of 13, so nine there which might possibly be found.
    Season 3: 1 exists out of 13, plus fragments of another. This is the season where the Daleks make a guest appearance in the final episode, but it may not have been sold overseas (because the previous clients weren't set up to run colour VT), and doesn't look to have be transferred to film by Enterprises (presumably not enough sales interest in season two).
    Season 4: 5 exist out of 11. Again, this season doesn't seem to have been copied to film, though there was some sales interest in the video tapes, as apparently one of them was lost when the original tape was sent to an overseas broadcaster and never returned.

So bluntly, if there are any to be found, certainly by Morris, it'll be the 11 missing episodes from seasons 1 and 2; and if there was a fall off in sales for season 2, it might only be the pair from season 1 (one of which is scripted by Terry Nation from a Bradbury story, but apparently wasn't very successful, while the other is supposedly the best of the entire original run).

18. Candlelight

It's great to hear they're finally getting released.

I mean, they're all on YouTube but an official release would be nice too... :)

19. diankra

Really? The first three have been, the same three that leaked onto VHS back in the 80s, but hadn't spotted any more out there.

20. Candlelight

They're pretty much all online. Half have burnt in time code so it looks like they were lifted from a BBC screener at some point such as this one.