College Football 2011 Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be happy to add the Wahoos as well, but they'd be a rather odd fit I think. Aside from VTech, I think their strongest rivalry is Maryland? I could also see West Virginia, but then again they've got such a strong tie with Pittsburgh.

No way you're gonna break up Tobacco Road, so I think Duke and UNC is a nonstarter. I'd rather add the Hokies anyway.

Florida and Georgia can, frankly, go screw themselves. :p

Dorian, I don't think the Big 12 is long for this world. If the Pac-12 does snatch up who the rumors say they will, that'll leave the Kansas schools, I-State, Baylor and Mizzou without a home. Perhaps combine with the Mountain West, though that would leave Boise as the highest-profile team, amusingly enough. :lol:

2. chineserapper05

chineserapper05 Captain Captain

and in the latest jab.. some aggies bought billboard space right outside of waco

oh i was part of the thread where they came up with the idea. :hugegrin:

This.. I hate that a team that has a 18-101 record is "holding us hostage" (quote from our president). Also, thank you texas politics for pushing baylor into the big 12 back in the 90s. Baylor isn't doing the Big 12, or itself, any favors by threatening lawsuits. Who would want to join the Big 12, if Baylor can sue to try to keep schools from leaving? And what conference would want Baylor after this stunt.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Good Lord.

Did I mention this is going to be a long season for USC??

:scream:

4. Thestral

Very pleased with the Volunteers yesterday. Very pleased indeed. We've got ourselves a heck of a QB in Tyler Bray, and some excellent receivers. Solid RB too. :mallory: Next week will be a good stiff test though - bring on the Swamp.

Seeing the damned Tide roll over Penn State on the other hand, much much less pleasant. :thumbdown:

5. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

FSU's Seminoles lose out to the Oklahoma Sooners 23-13 by virtue of a few picks, some good offense, and a blown call when one of our guys got knocked unconscious close to the goal line after catching the ball. Instead of giving him that spot, we got saddled with lesser field position and lost an opportunity to offset the loss of our QB in the third quarter.

The good thing is that our player managed to get back to the sideline before the game ended, so things will be looking up for him.

6. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched that game too and yeah, I thought the Seminoles got screwed on that call. A real shame, too--they were playing well.

As for Auburn...much as I want them to do well, what I've feared would happen since I saw their ugly wins the last couple times around has happened. Their offense is still very strong, but the defense keeps crumbling and that is not going to fly. I hope they shape up...

7. Thestral

10 point losses in the Swamp are never never never pleasant.

That said, I take some comfort in the renewed energy the rivalry seems to have, if not the outcome. Bray made a few mistakes, but for his first real road game, he held up well and the Vols defense was nothing short of excellent considering the terrible terrible spots they were put in.

Just hope Justin Hunter's okay, losing him so early changed the whole gameplan...

8. bullethead

Hopefully we won't sink too far down the rankings, considering how well our D was containing them until the picks and the fourth quarter, plus the general strength of our offense. But given how things were shaken up by the Auburn and Ohio State defeats, we might be able to make our way back up the rankings if Clemson and Miami break into the top 25 (Clemson in particular deserves it- I saw that game and thought they pretty much manhandled Auburn after they caught up).

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. Thank You, Miami! I can almost guarantee Ohio State will still be ranked though... pollsters love them no matter what.
    2. BYU being good in Week 1 was a fluke. I need to not pick them for anything the rest of the season.
    3. Georgia played a terrible FCS team... nothing to talk about there.

But, most importantly, Jacksonville State defeats Georgia State and gets a much needed win before entering some conference play.

10. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice to see the Gophers get their first win. And it was good to see Jerry Kill back coaching. After seeing him crappie flopping from a seizure on the sidelines last week, I wasn't sure how things were going to go this week.

11. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Just call my team the Midnight Cowboys. Let's see if they're on anyone's radar enough to know what I'm talking about.

12. Thestral

Apparently some people think they're gonna get an NCAA violation for that late start - which would be stoopid of course.

13. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

An NCAA violation???? It's the effing NCAA who won't let them even warm up on the field if there's lightning within 6 miles of the stadium. :scream: Who's saying that??

I'm shocked they were able to finish. More storms were supposed to move in at half time but they veered off and dissipated. I expected them to cancel the game. My jaw dropped when they went ahead; TU lost its starting QB to a knee injury. Glad it wasn't Weeden. I fell asleep at half time. Got the final score this morning. Surprised there weren't more injuries.

14. Thestral

Looking again, seems to just be the opinion of one of the CBSSports.com bloggers, so never mind. Sorry for the alarm. :)

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

With Pitt and Syracuse joining the ACC, and all of its current members unanimously voting on a new $20 million exit fee, I don't think VT or anyone else from the ACC will be heading to the SEC any time soon. I think it's more likely the ACC will add two more teams (probably West Virginia and UConn/Rutgers), which will put them at 16.

16. Thestral

You're probably right, though if the SEC comes calling there's still the possibility. I'd say UConn and Rutgers if I were to guess, actually - both are Atlantic Coast schools and fit in nicely with other teams.

Also, Vols Sophomore WR Justin Hunter is out for the year with an ACL. :scream: :(

17. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Just when I started feeling optimistic about the Gophers, they go and lose to North Dakota State.

18. chineserapper05

chineserapper05 Captain Captain

what is up with a&m quarterbacks and stinking it up against osu? :brickwall:

and one thing hasn't changed, our 3rd quarters suck.

oh can anyone confirm if the sideline reporter quoted loftin as saying that a&m decided to leave a year and a half ago?

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why is Florida State still ranked? :rolleyes:

20. bullethead

Because the team is still good, they just lost a ton of offensive weapons. And even then they only lost to Clemson by 5 points, so it's not like they were blown out or anything.