Star Trek: The Doomsday Machine - Special Edition Screencaps

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Professor Moriarty, Jun 12, 2009.

1. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

Now that DM looks scary, dangerous, and can do some damage. I like it! :bolian: :bolian:

2. Kendric2000

Kendric2000 Commander Red Shirt

Great work I'm liking it more than the official remastered version...

The only thing I would add would be a bit of film grain to the effect shot...but thats just one fellows opinion...

Awesome job! Can't wait for act II! :bolian:

3. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

[little school girl]SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL!!!!!![/little school girl] :rommie:

Downloaded, but am at work. I can't wait to watch this later tonight!

Love your final version of the DM, Prof. Truly wicked looking! :evil:

One question: is your Constellation a "full Constitution Class" ship, or something else?

I only ask because, as I'm sure you recall, there have been many conversations on here speculating that she may have been a member of some predecessor class of ship, perhaps refit or uprated to near Connie specs, and I was curious what your decision was in this regard. Also, I notice she appears somewhat smaller than the E, though I assume that's merely because so much of the Constellation has been blown away by the DM. Just raised the question in my mind, though.

Heading off to make popcorn now. ;)

4. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

I modeled the Constellation as a Constitution-class starship, but with detailing from the era of "The Cage". If you look closely you'll still see remnants of the design elements from that period: big deflector dish, spiked warp nacelles (you can actually still see one of the spikes all twisted and broken on the port nacelle), extra details/markings on the upper saucer, etc.

5. Professor Moriarty

The Enterprise

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  6. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Good stuff. Are the FX companies beating down your door yet?

7. FrontLine

FrontLine Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut Admiral

WOW! Just WOW!

8. TrekkieMonster

So, I finally got to see this damn clip (computer problems -- hope my new 14z shows up soon.)

And I have to echo Frontline's "wow". Very nicely done. I've commented previously on the asteroids and the shot when Kirk crosses in front of the E's viewscreen (fantastic). But, the rest of your new SFX were really amazing, as well.

My absolute favorite new sequence is the one when we come back from the credits/theme song sequence (would you call it the "title shot"?) The shot of the Constellation is awe inspiring, and when the primary hull of the Enterprise slides into the shot it's just breathtaking. I have to confess I wanted to try to make some wallpaper of that, but the damn credits keep getting in the way. :scream: :p

I also really like that last SFX sequence: the aft view through the Enterprise's nacelles. I really appreciated how you retained the way the DM makes that turn and heads for the E.

Very nicely done.

Please, sir, can I have some mo'? :cool:

p.s. -- I do recall that you were using a "Cage" era version of the model for the Constellation, just wasn't sure if you'd tweaked it in terms of relative size or anything. Then again, when I watched the clip I picked up on a little line of Decker's that I'd never noticed before: when he mentions losing 400 crew on the 3rd planet. I guess the C really is a full Connie. As a side note, I also noted that Decker describes the DM as being Miles (plural) long; something I'd never really paid attention to before, that I recall. but, somehow, I have a feeling you did. ;)

9. Professor Moriarty

I'm not at home right now but IIRC I've scaled the planet killer to be eight kilometers (almost five miles) in length, with a maw (a maw? does it have a paw?*) which can swallow a dozen starships.

I should correct the record though and fess up that I was using some inaccurate shorthand earlier--the Constellation is a hybrid "Where No Man Has Gone Before"/series production-era starship, not a "Cage" starship (never liked those ugly flat nacelle endcaps on the "Cage" model). The hybrid designation comes from my artistic choice to substitute the shorter production-era bridge dome for the (to my eye) misshapen supertall bridge dome from "WNMHGB". Nearly all of the other details from "WNMHGB" are there though:
    • the upper saucer markings
    • the big deflector dish
    • the eight-nozzled impulse engine cluster
    • the spiked warp nacelle domes
    • the "tailpipe" nacelle endcaps
    While most of my computer fleet is chugging away on the opening scene of Act II, I'll see what I can do about churning out some orthos of the Constellation in her damaged state. I also have an undamaged version of the model, but it doesn't have the updated textures so beauty shots of that version will have to wait.
    ____
    * - Bill Shatner must take the credit for this awful pun, which he uttered during the filming of "TDM" 42 years ago.

10. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very nice work, Prof!!!

I give it two thumbs up.

11. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

Finally got act 1 downloaded. I had to go to my dad's radio club because they have a faster internet connection.

All I can say is, :bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian::bolian:. I especially liked the aft view shot of the nacelles. That was one of my favorite fx shots on the remastered version, and I'm glad you used it here. I hope to see more in future clips.

Can't wait for the orthos of the Constellation. I always wanted to make a Constellation model out of the Polar Lights Enterprise, and yours would make a nice model.

12. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi Prof...

I finally got around to watching this whole thing... I notice that virtually all the scenes you'd previously done are redone again. Damn, sucks to be a perfectionist, huh? :)

I did like your earlier viewscreen walk-by better than the new one. I'm not sure why, exactly... just a gut reaction.

I think your shots of the Enterprise are terrific. I've said it before... I think your Enterprise is probably the best-looking fan-made exterior out there. My only "quibble" about it would be that your upper and lower sensor domes look almost greenish on my screen. Is that by intent? Are my eyes deceiving me? Is my computer nauseous?

I miss the somewhat more "rugged" asteroids you'd had before, but I do like the fact that they're not quite as "glowy." I'd expect an asteroid field to become filled with rounded objects like we see there over time (bumping into other objects, becoming rounded by abrasion over thousands of years). This looked like a real asteroid field might... but not necessarily what I expect from a brand-spankin' new debris field. (Then again, I've never actually SEEN a planet-killer-path-of-destruction, sooooo...)

Those are really little teeny quibbles... constructive criticism, but not really anything "wrong" per-se.

I did find myself suddenly thinking "fake" at one point... as the Doomsday Machine came into frame. It didn't seem like it was moving along a natural path... it almost felt like a "camera-zoom composite" and didn't give me the sense of a real, massive object moving through space.

Don't get me wrong... I love your work here, and my socks are appropriately knocked-off. Just providing what I'd hope would be some appreciated "constructive criticism." :)

13. Professor Moriarty

Turn off hardware acceleration in Windows Media Player if the video has a greenish cast. It's an old and well-known problem with some graphics cards and WMV files. I'm still trying to sort out why Vimeo is screwing up the sound synchronization on the video I posted last week... hopefully this will be corrected shortly and there won't be a need to download a 300 meg file.

I appreciate the feedback, and always welcome constructive criticism. The motion of the planet killer in the "reveal" was a deliberate homage to the original effect--the PK is in fact sliding sideways towards the camera in that first shot. It's purely an artistic choice for that one shot--you'll see nothing but verite from here on out.

14. Professor Moriarty

More eye candy...

[​IMG]

15. TrekkieMonster

16. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Better yet, get Media Player Classic and the Combined Community Codec Pack instead. MPC is included in the CCCP download by default, and by using the codecs in the CCCP, I've never had a file I haven't been able to watch, and I've had no problems with anything, as well as having greater control over the player itself.

17. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Excelent work Prof. :cool:

18. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

I think it's wonderful that someone did this independently of the studio. For years, I've thought "The Doomsday Machine" had a timeless quality to its story. It plays for me (and I suspect, other viewers) as well today as the first time I watched it. It never ceases to thrll me how many people were eagerly awaiting the "remastered" version of "Doomsday", and how memorable people find that ep. I've only seen Trekmovie's "VFX Reel" excerpts of the TOS-R version, but Scott's look superior thus far.

I love the sense of depth in the debris fields, and the drifting Constellation. The revamped Planet Killer is a neat design, too. Still, if it were up to me (it certainly is not) I would've made the sucker several times larger. Maybe even 100 km long, since, after all, this thing is supposed to devour planets.

19. Professor Moriarty

It takes bite-sized pieces. :D

20. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

No, it DESTROYS planets, then eats enough rubble to replenish itself (leaving lots of rubble and debris behind). It's not Unicron, after all. :)