Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

But again why would a kid in the 1980s/early perceive 'strong men' to be 'super'? You might as well say it is because he loves "I love lucy" - if you want to go down that road.. you'd be better off saying he based the colours on watching Optimus Prime on the transformers cartoon.

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

My perception of a superhero is bright colours, cape and tights and I was born in 1980. Now, obviously that is because of Superman but it could just as easily be Mighty Man or Strong Sid or whatever in the Superman universe.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

4. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

^ Sounds good to me!

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually think it's pretty inspired, myself. The idea that this is some kind of official Kryptonian "uniform" that he wears in honor of his destroyed home planet, and the billions of people who died there, has a lot more power and resonance than just the fact it's just something his mom sewed together because he needed a secret identity.

Maybe not totally, but it certainly looks more believable and alien than the costumes we've seen before.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I totally agree with this.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Ditto. It makes a ton more sense to me.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Isn't that the premise in The New 52, that his suit is some-sort-of Kryptonian armor/battle uniform.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Can it be replaced if it's torn, damaged or lost? That's always been my concern whenever they made Superman's costume alien in origin or one of a kind.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Once he discovers Kandor, he can just take it to the Kryptonian tailor. ;)

11. Trekker4747

It seems that, at least in the New 52 version of the suit, the suit is able to "heal itself" when damaged. It also changes from standard under clothing to the super-suit when he takes off the Clark Kent guise, the cape and everything pretty much coming from no where. (Essentially how we see it appear in the Donner movie which also seemed to suggest the suit had an alien origin since it appeared after his time with Jor-El in training/learning.)

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if the suit in MOS didn't have a similar ability (although the healing effect would probably look more organic than the digitized effect the comic shows).

Either that or he just takes the damaged suit back to the Fortress and it somehow fixes it.

13. Trekker4747

Well, at least in the Donner Movies, the FOS built itself into a large structure of crystal with advanced alien technology in it from a single crystal. So I think it can mend a suit. Let's just hope Superman's mending-machine isn't programed by Edna Mode.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The New 52 suit has regenerative properties as Trekker mentioned, but it appears as just a kind of bodysuit that Clark wears. It seems to automatically recognize the House of El crest that Clark wears on his t-shirt as part of his "normal" costume and that is when it kind of "morphs" (for lack of a better word) into the "Super suit". At least that is how I've come to understand the new suit. Probably has some kind of advanced Kryptonian nanotech or something that recognizes Clark's biology. I think this is kind of what JJ Abrams had in mind with "Superman: Flyby".

I agree that it is possible that the "Man of Steel" suit could have some kind of regenerative properties to it as well.

15. Trekker4747

The New 52 Suit also is able to "shrink" in order to fit Superboy (who is currently wearing in the H'El on Earth storyline in order to "heal.")

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah so it is able to change it's size to suit the wearer.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too. I like the idea of it being a tribute to Krpton. Makes more sense IMO, than it just being something he suddenly decides to throw together.

18. Shazam!

What are the chances that Kryptonian battle armour so closely resembles superhero comic book costumes! Wow!

This modern trend of everything being explained to the nth degree is already tiresome.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

You wouldn't be saying that if his costume had always been Kryptonian-based.

20. Shazam!