If you could erase five bands from ever having existed

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Moocey, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

Does this mean moocey fails because he wants to sleep with his mother?

Or because he doesn't know how nice it is to jerk off to Pictures of Lily?

And what of my declaring Tony Orlando & Dawn one of the Signs of the Apocalypse? Don't I get a shout out for that?

2. Crash

Crash Vice Admiral Admiral

This is easy.

1.) Every band that imitated and watered down Nirvana. Nirvana wasn't great, but they were better than Live, Creed, Nickelback and all those morons.
    2.) Any hair metal band. You suck. Period. Stop doing renunion tours and stop having shows on VH1. No self-respecting chick wants to sleep with your wrinkled ass.
    3.) Anything that Drive-Thru Records spawned or was subject to imitation. Tight shirts and thick rimmed glasses don't make you deep. Crying like a baby, in fact, makes you a pansy. Want real emo? Listen to Cursive or Hot Water Music after they get done kicking the shit out of you.
    4.) Avenged Sevenfold -- You're the best example of the rampant abuse of metalcore. You suck, your politics sucks, and even your mother hates you. You're not an '80s band, and the world would be a better place if someone killed you and your mouthbreathing fans.
    5.) Any band on Warped Tour: From the Christian bands who claim it's hard to resist some fat emo chick blowing you on the back of the bus to the lame metalcore acts to the $7 bottles of water. Can you say suburban angst? By the way, this label excludes The Lawrence Arms, who were invited to Warped Tour, accepted, and then, within a few weeks, were kicked off of the tour for bashing the tour while on stage. Hilarious stuff, gentlemen, and kudos for having some balls.

3. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Crash. :adore: :bolian:

4. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Oh I LIKE you my friend...

5. Worf412

Worf412 Angry Pirate Rear Admiral

6. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

NO DOUBT

I use all 5 of my votes on them. Seriously can't stand that band.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I bought a load of new cd's recently and cleared out the shelf. Found one of their cd's which I'm now sorely tempted to use as a target for my pellet guns. :lol:

Bullseye if you hit Stefani.

8. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Kaiser Chiefs

Coldplay

Arctic Monkeys

Voice of the Mysterons (fucking awful "creationist punk", pretentious bollocks fronted by utter twats)

Um, that's all I got.

9. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

Hahaha, that's awesome--you should!

10. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I quite like Live :p

11. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

^ Live really only had one good album ... Throwing Copper.

12. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

Next few posts: Cato! Mises! Cato! Mises! Cato! Mises! Cato! Mises!

Anyways...

Fuck the political message of music. I own a few RATM albums, you want that should make me a communiss?

13. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Hear, hear!

You're my new best friend.

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Well, no ... but it does make you a bearer of utterly terrible taste in music.

also lol ron paul

15. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, RATM isn't exactly the best band that I like. :lol:

also: lol whoeveryousupportforpresident. :p

16. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I disagree. I actually don't even like that album very much at all. Secret Samedi and The Distance to Here are much better albums IMO. I think the actual songwriting on that album is quite childish compared to their other albums. Their next two albums are straight down the road melodic rock but demonstrating extremely strong melodic and lyrical skills and showcasing extremely tight musicianship. Nothing that's going to set the world on fire, and nothing particularly original, but also musically unpretentious (extremely pretentious lyrically however) and clearly a band loving what they do. Things rapidy disintegrated after that however, their last 3 albums were nowhere near as good.

Anyway, time for a rant.

I do think (this isn't directed at anyone here) that a lot of people have their heads stuffed firmly up their asses when it comes to music. Too many fashion victims. The Emo kids who listen to the music simply because it's depressing, or simply because they like the singer's hair are no better or worse than those who dismiss the entire genre of music they listen to because Emo kids with shitty hairstyles and stupid makeup listen to it.

A lot of people dismiss music because it is unoriginal in it's style. Unoriginal is a fair criticism to level at music, but originality or breaking stylistic ground is not the be all and end all of everything. Plenty of mainstream artists produce fascinating composition within very restrictive boundaries. In some ways I find this skill itself to be very impressive. Dismissal of the mainstream is another big problem with pretentious music listeners as well, the idea that soemthing can't be good because it has widespread appeal is as lamentably stupid as thinking that something must be good because it does have widespread appeal.

It's when you hit rock bottom with bands like Nickelback that you have a problem, a band that utterly fails to forge ahead stylistically, but also writes completely uninspired compositions that simply borrow riffs and structures from other bands (or even from previous songs of their own, which in turn were stolen from somewhere else!) and add nothing at all of their own.

17. HappyDayRiot

Who on earth listens to RATM or SOAD or whoever for their political message?

18. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Idiots.

My Hates:

Fall Out Boy - Can't Sing, Can't Write, Epic Fail

Velvet Revolver - The Band That Made Weiland Suck

Metallica - The Blandest Franchise Since Mickey-D's.

AC/DC - Rock That Makes You Want To Cut Yourself

The White Stripes - Ghey, Without The Pretty Colors or Fashion Sense or Soothing Lisp or Smooth Skin or...

19. HappyDayRiot

Ergh, Velvet Revolver. Yuck.

At least Weiland left.

20. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Guns & Roses: I actually threw a radio that was playing them out of a moving car (sue me for littering, I don't care)

Def Leppard: McMetal--'nuff said.

New Kids On the Block--they were cool in the beginning, but...no, on second thought no they weren't...

Brittney Spears--not a band, but she spawned an army of blonde mass-produced clones that continues to ravage music today...

Jonas Brothers--what the !@#$ is this??? Even if I was young enough to appreciate their music, I wouldn't...