Favorite Opening Sequence? (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by BillJ, Sep 13, 2013.

?

Favorite Opening Sequence

Poll closed Sep 23, 2013.
  1. Kirk Sr. saving the Kelvin crew.

33 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. JT Kirk saving the Nibiru.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

So which opening sequence from the two Abramsverse films is your favorite?

We have the opening from Star Trek 2009, where Captain Robau and Lieutenant George Kirk sacrifice themselves so the majority of U.S.S. Kelvin crew can escape. Including the infant James T. Kirk. It is a very emotion-packed opening to the Abramsverse.

In Star Trek Into Darkness, we have a more traditional teaser set-up on the planet Nibiru. Where Kirk and Spock are trying to save the natives from a super volcano that will cause the species to go extinct. Kirk lures the natives away by stealing a scroll with Spock sets off a giant ice-cube meant to calm the volcano. This one is obviously a wink-nod to the original Star Trek.

So which one is the better opening?

2. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd say that Trek '09's opening was better crafted. It was shocking, emotional and gave the film a ton of credit right off the bat. It is, however, a downer. Kirk Sr. dies and the Kelvin is destroyed.

STID, on the other hand, is a rousing success. Kirk and co save the Nibirians from extinction and Spock from a toasty demise in a thrilling rescue sequence. Not as well crafted and shocking as the Trek '09 opening, but way more satisfying.

3. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

'09. More emotional impact, and sets up a cause behind the behavior we see from Jim later in the movie.

4. BillJ

I picked the Nibiru opening. Those scenes tickled my TOS bone in a way that it hasn't been tickled in years. :lol:

5. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Trek 2009, absolutely. I loved the heroic nature of STID's opener, but 09's left a great impression and was probably the highlight of the film for me.

6. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:vulcan:

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ooh, this is a tough one. I love the '09 opening for it's very powerful emotional heft, but I love the STiD opening for it's action/comedy nailbiter sequence. If I had to pick, I'd pick STiD's opening, but only by a very narrow margin. They're both top notch movie intros, either way.

8. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the opening for STiD but the opening for '09 was so powerful emotionally that even though I've seen it about 8 times it still affects me. Though to be fair at this point I've only seen STiD once. I may feel differently after a few more viewings. Both openings are just fantastic and set the table for the rest of the movie.

9. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

That's hard. They both are so good at what they're trying to establish. For its pure emotional impact and changing everything in less than ten minutes, I'd go with the opening to ST09. The plaintive notes of the opening theme at the end of the scene were perfect. Damned near made me cry. You'd hardly think those notes would be played triumphantly later in the movie.

Still, the opening of STID was well done and served its purpose just as well. In less than ten minutes we discovered that James T. Kirk was a reckless fool. McCoy yells, "I hate this!" Kirk's reply, "I know," does more than imply this isn't the first time they've been in a fix like that. And the seamless meshing of the Nibiruian drawing into the Enterprise about to go into warp in space was fantastic.

10. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

2009's opening with the George Kirk sacrifice and the birth of Nu James T. Kirk.

11. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I think they're both superb, and give these new films a recognisable opening 'signature' like the 3D text at the beginning of all the Star Wars films. If the new director drops it for the third movie I will be extremely pissed.

12. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Sooooooo.... I think there should have been a THIRD option. The second sequence for STiD.
    The sacrifice of the father to save his daughter as Harrison/Khan looks on.
    As a dad myself, this struck a special chord for me. No, I don't think it would have come in first, and maybe not even second, but it was nonetheless very powerful.

13. BillJ

Well, I was just wanting to compare the two pre-title card sequences. If we start pulling post title-card sequences then we'd have to throw everything into a pot, which is just too much work. :eek:

14. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Hmmmmm..... I guess you're right. We would have to then consider much of the micro bits from ST09... boy Kirk driving, boy Spock learning, etc. Fair enough. :rolleyes:

15. BillJ

You're more than welcome to start a separate poll. :techman:

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That's an easy one. George Kirk's sacrifice gets me choked up every time.

17. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Thor Kirk 2009 intro. Easily one of the best scenes in all of Star Trek.

STID intro is great too but in a completely different way. Not as emotionally powerful as the 2009.

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

09, hands down.

19. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Emotionally powerful doesn't necessary mean better for me though, thats like comparing Star Wars to Shawshank, the Enterprise rising out of the water and the sand drawing merging into the Enterprise in space (with the volcanic ashes becoming the stars no less) are aweseome creative scenes to say nothing of the part where Spock accepts his death on the volcano. Brilliant.

There's no denying the ST09 opener is a classic Trek scene though. I find picking between them almost impossible. In fact I haven't voted in the poll yet.

20. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

The opening of 09 is probably the best scene I'ver seen in a Star Trek movie, emotionally extremly powerful and Thor's death made me cry at the theatre.
    The opening of iD was nice and fun and visually stunning but nothing special, really