How about a captain Pike(bruce Greenwood) series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Jayson, May 3, 2009.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

You're the one that doesn't understand. I understand it perfectly--it's because not everyone likes the same things. It's as simple as that.
    :vulcan:

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Belz... you're basically arguing... I understand everyone doesn't like the same thing... but they should prefer the franchise to continue in the JJverse. So yes, you're arguing yourself into a contradiction there.

I honestly don't get why some people just seem to think everyone should like what they do as much as they do. :p

To the topic, the portrayal of Pike was one of my favorite parts of the two new movies. That was something they got right.

3. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Ok, then. Let's not drop it. It's not as simple as that: I understand that people don't like the same things that I do.

No, that's not what I'm saying.

EDIT: Since at least three people are misunderstanding me, I'm going to assume that I'm the one communicating poorly, so I'm going to have one last stab at it before bowing out.

Here's the original post:

That I'm asking the question assumes that I know different people have differing opinions. Otherwise there'd be no point in asking unless I want to know why other people agree with me. So I clearly understand that. What I don't understand is why they hold this particular opinion. Answering what you did, CE, is a bit like this:

"Hey did you see the new Trek movie ?"
    - Sure.
    - And ?
    - Hated it.
    - Really ? Why ?
    - Not everyone likes the same thing.
    - Gee, thanks. That totally answers my question.

I was simply trying to understand the underlying reasons behind the poster's opinion. Telling me they have an opinion doesn't answer my question. But, on the odd chance that I didn't know they had an opinion that wasn't mine, your post was totally informative.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  4. C.E. Evans

Then you're only making it difficult for yourself.

It is the simplest thing in the world.
    Then you already have the answer to your question.
    That's not the question you originally asked.

You asked, and I quote, "Why are people so intent on returning to the old timeline ? We've been there for 40 years. Can't we move on, now?"

To which the most simplest and honest answer is that some people like the old timeline. From that, came that not everyone likes the new movies, because not everyone likes the same thing. Now what's so hard to understand about that?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  5. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]It's about the future, Madam Chancellor. Some people think the future means the end of history. ...But we haven't run out of history just yet. ...Your father called the future ...'the undiscovered country'. ...People can be very frightened of change." - Captain Kirk, TUC

People don't like change. People like the old universe they grew up with. Don't try to over think it. It's as simple as that.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

6. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

Yes! :devil:

7. C.E. Evans

I don't think it's about being frightened of change as quite a few people who like the old timeline would rather see new characters and situations there. In some instances, it's a desire to go forward with Trek rather than backward, so they do embrace change, but perhaps not the kind of change the new movies have brought.
    Truly. People like what they like. 'Nuff said.

8. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

This captures my feelings quite nicely. I'm not opposed to change as much as I'm opposed to creative directions that revisit characters and periods with which we're already familiar. I also have a problem with recycling story ideas merely because it's convenient. Anyone who has read recent Trek novels knows that there are many exceptionally bright and creative individuals involved in the writing of new stories. I would like to see like-minded people involved in the television and movie aspects of the franchise, too.

--Sran

9. Belz...

Possibly.

That's a possible answer, yes. But only one possible answer, which is why I asked so as to get answers.

Again, when someone tells you they don't like a movie, you might like to know why, rather than just the fact they don't like it. Maybe for you, understanding that they feel differently about the movie than you do is enough. For me, I like to know why. It doesn't follow that, because you don't want to know this, that I shouldn't ask.

10. Captain Clark Terrell

That is precisely the point C.E. Evans is making. There may not be a why in the traditional sense of the word. Not everything has rhyme or reason. I don't like cauliflower. I don't know why I don't like it. I just don't.

--Sran

11. C.E. Evans

Precisely.

The reason why people might not like something could be--and usually is--as simple as it just isn't what appeals to them. Not everything requires an essay to explain it.

12. Belz...

That's fine, then. I wasn't asking for an essay. I just asked a (perhaps naive) question to get some more insight. I didn't think it would cause all this.

13. Captain Clark Terrell

Except that you asked the same question over and over again even after a suitable explanation was given. What did you think was going to happen?

--Sran

14. Belz...

ONE answer was given by another poster. CE answered a different question, which I didn't ask.

15. Captain Clark Terrell

Was that answer not satisfactory?

Seems to me he answered your question quite nicely.

--Sran

16. Belz...

In a way, yes. But CE's non-answer is the issue, here.

That's because, like him, you misunderstand the question. Do you have children ? If a child asks her father "why is the Sky blue, daddy ?" do you think "because it's not red" is a valid answer ? Pointing out to the child that there are many different colours is not only trivial but insulting, because that's actually the reason why the kid is asking: she wants to know the cause, not the effect.

I'm very much aware that people have opinions. I happen to have those myself, odd as that may seem. But discussion is, in part, a way to either understand or resolve differences, so basically telling me I shouldn't ask people about their opinions in order for me to understand them better on the reasoning that "that's just the way it is" seems counter-productive. You'd have only threads of people stating their opinions and never discussing anything.

17. Captain Clark Terrell

This is precisely the point C.E. Evans was trying to make. Not everything has a root cause. It's also possible that the root cause may be known but not completely understood. If my son or daughter asked me why the sky was blue, I would try to answer the question as best I could, but I would also explain to them that I don't know everything. That's not the sort of answer a child wants to hear. Most children don't realize that their parents don't know everything. But it's the truth, and to lie to a child merely because they're too young to know better is despicable. There are ways of answering a child's questions in a way that's appropriate for his or her age without side-stepping the issue in the process.

I don't recall anyone saying that you shouldn't ask questions. The problem that I have with your line of questioning is that it assumes there must be a logical reason for everything when in fact there may not be. Not everything can be explained in a way that makes sense: that's not a cop-out. It's not meant to patronize. It is what it is. I can't put it any other way than that because there isn't another way to explain how I feel.

--Sran

18. Belz...

Again, that's fine. I still thought it relevant to ask the question.

A reason doesn't have to be logical.

Anyway, I'm leaving this be.

19. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For me if they are going to do new series in 2016. I like idea having Pike. Pike had large profile in ST09 & STID. New fans from NuTrek would relate to him. However as for Greenwood as Pike. I dont like it. Both he is just too old and i am not sure if he want the part. Better use younger version. I have idea for premiere episode that i want share:).

We go back to aftermath of the Narada attack on USS Kelvin. First Federation ship to respond to USS Kelvin SOS call was USS Phoenix commanding by young Captain Pike.
    USS Phoenix arrives and quickly rescues USS Kelvin survivors(Pike personally sees Kirk Mom and newly born Kirk.) and approaches the Narada. Narada has been damaged by USS Kelvin explosion. Narada weapons are off-line. Captain Pike captures the moment and engages the Narada. USS Phoenix disable Narada impulse engine and warp capability and Captain Pike is in brink of victory when sensors pick up three Klingon warship declocking. They order the USS Phoenix halt their attack and retreat to Federation Space. Captain Pike has no choice. He is facing his own
    Kobayashi Maru. He order the retreat and leave the Narada and their crew at the mercy of the Klingons.

Well you guys what u think?

20. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"For my dissertation, I was assigned the U.S.S. Kelvin. Something I admired about your dad... he didn't believe in no-win scenarios." - Captain Pike, Star Trek(2009)

Pike was still in the academy when the Kelvin was destroyed. He couldn't be commanding the ship that rescued the survivors.