Villains, Always With The Villains

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by InklingStar, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Yes, I agree. I just think he will be a refreshing change from Nero and other Trek movie villains. At least I hope so.

And yeah, no way he'll be on the same level as DS9 baddies. I started off absolutely hating Weyoun and he ended up becoming my favorite DS9 bad guy, Combs was just excellent in the role.

I also like the Breen. Not because they look like Leia's character from ROTJ, but because I thought they were a cool race...and they had cool outfits, weapons, and ships. I also liked the mystery behind them and how it was left up to the viewers to decide what we thought they might look like underneath their uniforms.

2. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly. If Hollywood can't manage a ST movie without it requiring Super Evil Villains and kewl space battle climax for every entry, maybe ST shouldn't be in the cinema. Maybe it should remain a television production.

At this point, ST is becoming generic action sci-fi with space battles and evil villains and ST was never about that.

3. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

he was smart, cultured, badass without being over the top about it, and he actually had decent motivation for a villain in a Trek movie, which some of the recent ones(Shinzon, Nero) haven't.

4. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

It's always been part of Trek. It just happens to be the part that works best for a summer film.

5. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

tv trek had plenty of underdeveloped villains with stupid motivations, like sela, lore, one-shot tos klingons, the gorn, the kazon guy that seska hung around with, the idiot thieves from starship mine, a seductive shuttlecraft, angry vulcan dictator from the enterprise 3 parter, etc so i don't know why people are surprised that the films have them too

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Undeniably, television is where Star trek excels. But if it weren't for the movies, I doubt interest in Star Trek would have continued through the 1980s, which I believe is what made TNG possible, and from there everything Trek related in the 1990s and until Enterprise's end in 2005.

I don't particularly care for the Abrams movies, but they are a necessary evil. They are once again drumming up interest in Trek and will make it possible for a new TV series someday.

7. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I thought that is exactly what Trek was and is about. It can have more, but it starts there.

Anyway, how could it "remain" a tv production when there hasn't been a Trek show on for years? Trek isn't more of one kind of media than another. It has been and can be everything - literature, games, films, tv. But it can't always be all of them simultaneously. Trek will remain a film franchise for the foreseeable future. If the films tank, don't count on new tv productions.

8. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Absolutely this.

9. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I couldn't care less if there's another series named StarTrek, unless it is the kind of show I like, and not just vengeance-crazed, scarey-looking baddies blowin' crap up. I will have to find pleasure in things not named Star Trek, or in rewatchings of eps 15-49 years old. Both are fine by me.

10. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

With all the various media, ST can be all the things it does well... adventure stories, human drama, future explorations, morality plays, character pieces, and yes, space battles with bad guys.

But it seems the movies can only show this one minor aspect of ST, space battles with evil villains. What about exploring the human condition? Exploring strange new worlds? Can ST no longer go where no one has gone before and must instead be about fighting evil villains with kewl explosions every time?

11. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

They could do that, but it would be a massive flop. Not enough people want that in a Star Trek movie for it to be viable.

12. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Pretty much. Star Trek in film is an action-movie-in-space genre. It's not going to be a dramatic science fiction film about the "human condition" or "exploring the unknown". Wanting it to be means you'll just be disappointed.

Anyone who wants Trek to be science fiction should look to the literature.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Please, his reason is so obvious you'd have to be dead not to notice it.

The "devolution" started and stopped with TWOK. That's the blueprint for Trek's on screen success. They've been trying to recapture that for decades. Looks like they finally did, in spades.

14. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    It is much easier to write a mustache twirling villain than contruct a villain from immoral ideals and falllacies in our culture.

And I'm sorry, for how much I love it, Star Trek has rarely had writers of that caliber.

15. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

no rational reason, then

"Waah, I'm mad, I will destroy others." It gets old.

16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I always feel like the true villain of Trek is humanity's bloody past.

So when we see a stereotypical action movie villain who's nasty for the sake of nasty, it's extremely boring.

17. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

wouldn't you have to see all the film before judging whether cumberbatch's character has a reason for his actions? seems like a fuckload of presumption going on here.

18. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

blah blah blah Gene's Vision™

yadda e yadda dumb movies these days

blah blah blah they dont make em like they used to

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Did someone claim Nero was rational? The man's home planet was destroyed, along with the people he loved. Of course he's not going to be rational. I think something like might lead you to do some crazy things. It even happens in real life when tragedy strikes.

Nah, it doesn't get old. Its been driving entertainment for years and people seem to like it. It's all in the execution.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's all well and good, but at the end of the day Nero was a pretty terrible villain. The whole "IT HAPPENED!" rant shows he's a bit too irrational to be taken seriously. From Pike's persepctive, the destruction of Romulus won't HAPPEN for another 130 years, so screaming at him for not thinking IT HAPPENED isn't really accomplishing anything at all.