Official Firefly Game Announced.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Bamarren, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Bamarren

Bamarren Lieutenant Red Shirt

News taken from http://www.edge-online.com/news/official-firefly-game-landing-2014-on-ios-android/

Have promptly shat self.

[​IMG][​IMG]

http://youtu.be/F_eUDYjQMj0

Not sure how keen I am on it being a mobile game, but it's new stuff for Firefly anyway!

2. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Looks like a fun concept. Let's see how it'll play.

3. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

Shiny!

(Hey, someone had to say it...:p)

Cheers,
    -CM-

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Can't see much success with it.

I'm a die hard fan of Firefly since the beginning but the strength of the show lies with the characters, their interactions, the awesome dialogue and the meta-story.

All this can't translate well to a simple online game (maybe apart from a meta-story but that requires much effort.. something i doubt will be done properly with an untested game). So without these key elements you will basically have a freighter with which you can move around the system, ship goods from a to b and back, maybe have some smuggling and hot pursuit flying against Alliance Police/Military and to spice it up the occasional Reaver attack.

Prepare for an overabundance of "Shiny" and similar catchphrases and oh so clever references to the show and the movie (that will probably repeat itself until you're sick of it).

I'd love to eat my words and that this game proves me wrong by having really unique features, good to brilliant gameplay and something else that let's it stand out. Having seen many MMO's come and go i somehow doubt it.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I take it you can't actually choose the side of the Alliance?

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, just what the Firefly franchise needs: more fake (digital) people, and more emphasis on stylish visuals and sound bites over substantial character development and coherent universe-building! :p

*ducks*

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds exactly like a Facebook style game and for the most part, they're terrible. The only decent one I've played, and I've tried a lot of them, is the Game of Thrones game, and even then it's not terribly entertaining.

8. Jiangnan Freak

Jiangnan Freak Lieutenant

I would much rather have single player rpg.