They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I really hope this isn't true. I liked TDKR and its ending and I do think JGL has the charisma to lead a Batman movie. But really, I don't think it was intended to carry on John Blake's story - it was just a way of wrapping up Bruce Wayne's story while letting us know that The Batman would continue.

I also think that if they were to make a subsequent movie with Blake as Batman, it should continue in Nolan's relatively grounded universe - a move into a world with superpowers and aliens would be a very dramatic shift. Also, as Captain Craig says, I want a Superman/Batman link-up to be between Clark and Bruce, not Clark and someone else.

The JLA movie seems like a perfect opportunity to relaunch Batman in a different continuity than Nolan's. And despite Nolan's connection to MOS, I'm very sceptical of the claim that Blake will cameo in that movie - it seems at odds with Nolan's insistence that he wasn't working towards Supes and Bats sharing an onscreen universe.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not necessarily. In the recent interview, Snyder said that producer Nolan insisted on a grounded and realistic approach to Superman, with some scientific justification for things (or so it sounded to me). And let's face it, there's plenty of outright impossibility in the Nolan Bat-films, from the inane microwave weapon in Begins to Batman's shattered-bullet forensics and the cable impossibly strong enough to flip over a truck in TDK to Bruce's magic recovery from a broken spine and the fusion overload that can be timed to the second in TDKR. Despite their pretensions of realism, they are fantasy movies. It's just that the impossibilities are presented with the trappings of realism, and in the context of an at least somewhat grounded and naturalistic character story, so we're willing to suspend disbelief.

True, but there have been plenty of instances where a creator has had one intention at the start but has then been persuaded by his employers to change those intentions when enough money was at stake. (E.g. Conan Doyle killing off Sherlock Holmes in "The Final Problem," which at the time he intended to be permanent and irrevocable.) Gordon-Leavitt's a big star now after TDKR and Looper. The studio's desire to capitalize on his growing fame may have outweighed Nolan's desire to keep the universes separate. It's not as if Nolan is the only decision-maker involved here. Ultimately it's Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment that he answers to.

That said, of course, a rumor is just a rumor, and "sources" who don't give their names shouldn't be trusted, at least until there's independent and official confirmation. I'm just saying it's possible.

3. Captaindemotion

^Well, you'll note I was careful to say 'relatively grounded', as oppose to 'hyper-realistic' or anything like that. And yes, it's too early to know what approach MOS will take.

But yeah, it's a rumour and I always like to go with the William Goldman adage that in Hollywood, nobody knows anything. And the counter to that is that anything's possible.

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

entertainment weekly

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I heard about this earlier but I don't believe it. TDKR was the end of the story, and I'd rather not see them force a continuation just to use the popularity of Nolan's trilogy.

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

But whether we like it or not it is a good way of having two characters already established by the time we get to Justice League instead of a bunch of baby faces.

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Thing is, they haven't yet announced if Cavill will be the JLA Supes. It's almost as if they're waiting to see how MOS does before making that call. They've got to be planning on having him in a MOS2 at the very least, but look how that worked out for GL2... :p

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

This is why it would be better to do solo movies first, the least successful character's don't appear or get recast and the most popular lead the film. It has better chances of some character carrying the film due to their popularity in their Solo films. I think Cavill is contracted for 3 movies. I say WB should just gun it and go ahead with casting him as supes in Justice League or else we are back to square one with a new superman and testing the audience on him all over again.

9. Gaith

Eh, I'm glad there wasn't a JLA for Bats to call on in TDK, and I'm fine with Supes being the only true superhero in his stories also. Parallel Cavill Supes and JLA movies wouldn't bother me, though they could indeed be an awkward sell to the general public.

10. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I hear Cavill signed on for three Superman movies. If the first one does do well then and they don't cast him in JLA movie we will have two different actors playing the same charcacter and that seems rather pointless.

11. Captaindemotion

12. Gaith

He looks just like Apocalypse from X-Men vs. Street Fighter. And he's ruler of the planet "Apokolips"?!

It's like they're trying to confuse me. :p

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are The Flash and Aquaman not going to be in the movie? I noticed the article I read on IGN said the heroes will Batman, Superman, The Green Lantern and Wonder Woman. That kind of surprises me since I thought the traditional line up almost always included those five, and I'd assumed we'd get all of them in the movie.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There was nothing in the article that said those were the only heroes who would be included.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman would be the most ommonly known ones, nd of course Green Latern (wether you liked the movie or not) is now very well known due his own movie. Flash, hasn't had any TV or Movie exposure in alot of years, other than possibly Animated, and Aquaman Pilot never went anywhere, so, no reason to spotlight those two, since thy wouldn't be as well known as the other 4.

16. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

So...they're doing Darkseid and releasing their movie the same year as Avengers 2 which will feature Thanos as its villain. I see now way this could backfire.

17. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    If it's a good film I'm not worried. Besides who else are they going to use as the first villain but Darkseid? Starro? Amazo? Darkseid is the best choice they got.

Though it makes me wonder who they might use for a follow up. Maybe the White Martian Hyperclan from Grant Morrison's run? Or the OMAC Project, with Maxwell Lord as a villain? Or the parallel Earth where the Justice League are the bad guys? There are some ideas but I think starting off with Darkseid is still the best thing to do. I just hope they do a better job than Geoff Johns did recently in the first Justice League arc for the New 52.

18. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Especially if Avengers 2 is a far superior film (and i have an inkling it might be the case if they keep Whedon around for Avengers).

19. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

It would be really cool if they went with a all black The Dark Knight Returns first costume. Earth One but with rectangular pouches and small ears.

20. Captaindemotion