Movies Seen in 2010

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Starbreaker, Jan 1, 2010.

1. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Daybreakers - 5 (I AIN'T LEGEND)

Diary of the Dead - 1 (poorly delivered and heavy handed social commentary combined with bad acting and a shitty script...oh, yeah, Romero's still "got it")

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw The Road. A bit of a mixed bag. Strong visuals, great acting, but a little uneven.

3. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Adventureland - B+
    Precious - A-
    Invictus - B+

Solid movie, though not in the same league as Eastwood's last movie, which made my top 10 of the 2000s. Few genres are as cliched as the sports movie, but this is more about the politics of sport for most of the way through (Eastwood also doesn't really get much into the specifics of rugby, which is an interesting choice given that it's not a huge sport in North America). The main attraction here is Morgan Freeman's performance, which is a departure from his typical persona in a lot of ways; his tone of speaking (not to mention accent) are way different from usual.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Bah. I must have been the only person who liked this film. It was certainly an improvement over Land of the Dead.

5. JacksonArcher

Youth In Revolt was entertaining. Michael Cera shows a bit of range, and Portia Doubleday is quite the actress, one I think we're going to see again and again.

6. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Watched Appaloosa on DVD last night. Didn't care for it, and will take it over to a used DVD store in the near future, but totally worth payin' only two bucks for it on Black Friday.

Updatin' the list!

- In Theaters -
    Crazy Heart*

- On DVD -
    City Heat
    All the President's Men
    Appaloosa

*indicates free advanced screenings

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The movies I've watched on Sky Movies HD over the last week:

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) - Pretty good, although not as good as I'd heard. When the lead spends most of the movie feeling sorry for himself the actor is walking a tightrope to stay the right side of annoying and keep the audience's sympathy. For me, Jason Segel mostly failed in that. Most of the amusement is supplied by Apatow regulars in supporting parts: Paul Rudd as a perpetually high surfing instructor, Jonah Hill as a waiter aspiring to be a musician, Kristen Wiig as a starstruck yoga instructor. Mila Kunis steals the show with a relaxed performance as a nice, down to earth girl - and she looks drop dead gorgeous in the film.

Dan in Real Life (2007) - Some good moments here and there, and a good lead performance from Steve Carell stretching his dramedy muscles, but overall the film is too twee, artificial, and mawkish.

The Happening (2008) - Ouch! Has a director who started out with as much promise as M. Night Shyamalan ever made a film quite as bad as this one? This is a failure on every level, with an embarrasingly bad lead performance from Mark Wahlberg. Hopefully it'll be The Last Airbender to the rescue for Shyamalan.

Charlie Wilson's War (2007) - A good, solid film with Hanks in fine form playing against type. Philip Seymour Hoffman steals the show, though. Look out for Rachel Nichols and Shiri Appleby as suitably sexy members of "Charlie's Angels".

Taken (2008) - A very entertaining old-fashioned, no frills action film. Jack Bauer wears Liam Neeson underoos.

Max Payne (2008) - I'd feel burned if I'd paid to see this theatrically or as a rental, but it's passable enough dumb fun entertainment on television. While Mila Kunis was the best thing about Forgetting Sarah Marshall, she's woefully miscast here (apart from Russian being her original native language).

Rambo (2008) - Not as good as Rocky Balboa, but pretty damn good nonetheless. Like Taken, this is a throwback to the kind of straightforward action films that were a staple of 80s cinema, only in this case with more blood. Much more blood! I mean, holy crap, there's a lot of bloodletting in this movie!

Bangkok Dangerous (2008) - I hadn't paid much attention to the reviews or publicity when this came out, but just from the bits and pieces I'd seen I was expecting a really hyped up, OTT action film. It's actually quite sedate and morose. It gets off to a rather poor start, but picks up a bit as it goes on. There's no real rooting interest, though.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw (500) Days of Summer, it's a good movie, different.

9. ellehc

ellehc Cadet Newbie

I just saw avatar last week all I can say is it was really a great movie!

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Sherlock Holmes [B-]
    Men in Black [A]
    Up in the Air [A]
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture [D+]
    I'm Not There [A]
    Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (2009) [D-]
    American Violet

This picture has no directorial flourish, but that's okay, the performances make it succeed on a level that is direct and to the point. Several performances shine, including the leading actress, as well as several supporting roles. Importantly, it doesn't become a movie about a couple of noble (white) northern lawyers at the end of the first act. They enter the story, and play a role, but Nicole Beharie is always the center of the story. Worth a look as a rental.

11. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I had to cancel my RSVP for both The Lovely Bones and Extraordinary Measures advance screenings this week, but the girlfriend & I will be goin' to an uber super secret midnight screenin' this Thursday.

12. JacksonArcher

You're seeing Kick-Ass, aren't you?

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too. :)

14. CaptainCanada

DVD view: Samaritan Girl (2004)

I debated for a while whether Ki-duk Kim is a visionary auteur or just gratuitously weird, but he's both, by turns. His characters tend to behave not remotely like real people, instead acting out Kim's constant symbolisms; but it's usually interesting. His work also tends to be a good choice in some ways for foreign markest as most of his movies have so little dialogue that the use of subtitles hardly matters; this one has more dialogue than most. The crux of this one is father/daughter relations...or something, I don't know. Not going to rate this one, I don't think.

15. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I have no clue what the movie will be - the folks supplyin' the pass aren't sayin'...

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Sherlock Holmes [B-]
    Men in Black [A]
    Up in the Air [A]
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture [D+]
    I'm Not There [A]
    Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (2009) [D-]
    American Violet
    Inglourious Basterds [A]

I saw this film twice in the cinema, and am happy to now own it on Blu-Ray. It's one of the best of last year. :techman:

17. JacksonArcher

Urgh. Was not.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Was too. :)

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. CaptainCanada

Was definitely one of my favourites.