Defiance Season 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lucky, Jun 20, 2014.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I picture all of you as comic sans boys.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remember when Cameron would draw shit with a pencil on Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles?

(Of course you don't. Realestate in your brain is valuable.)

Horizontal Lines and dots like a printer from the 80s stacked on top of each other until they make sense visually.

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I have to say I really wish they hadn't forced the antagonism between Tommy and Nolan this season. It's a fine story seed, but I feel like there hasn't been enough established to make it work properly.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree, on the surface it certainly makes sense that Tommy would be pissed off and bitter towards Nolan given Nolan just pops up out of the blue after an absence of nearly a year and takes his old job back, resulting in Tommy being shoved aside and demoted. Unfortunately all that's resulted from that is Tommy turning into a mouthy and whiny bitch constantly complaining about Nolan until he resigns as deputy and joins the E-Rep military where he continues to be a mouthy and whiny bitch, only this time with a gruff Batman voice.

Part of the problem is Tommy has very little screen time this year and so they can't really develop him that much. But also the antagonism in general has come out of the blue. Last year Nolan and Tommy got along great together, were practically friends. Yes, Tommy would be pissed over losing his promotion, that's hardly an excuse to turn into a total jerk around Nolan. It might also help if we could see what kind of sheriff he was and whether or not he really was up for the job. Ah well, I guess it would have taken time away from all that important Irzu stuff.

5. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Agreed. If they'd established that Nolan or Irisa had been back to Defiance at least once in the nine-month seasonal gap and done something (likely unintentionally) that estranged Tommy, that'd be fine. But given that it was Irisa's decision to return and Nolan wasn't even interested in his old job at first, they're just trying to snowball it in.

6. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wasn't that Kyle XY's thing?

They kept playing an alien cover of Four Non-Blondes' "What's Going On" and then an instrumental version of said song later as Kenya wandered around.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mia Kirshner was on the Showtime lesbian drama The L Word for 6 season from 2004-2009. And yes if anyone was wondering, she did do some nude scenes, I think at least one might have even been full frontal.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to say its kind of gutsy for a show to be willing to kill off a main character and then flat out tell the audience it's for real by showing their decayed corpse essentially saying there isn't going to be a take back.

Kind of morbid too.

9. Guy Gardener

You haven't seen NuBSG?

Starbuck blew up.

Then She came back unscathed.

Then they found her corpse.

And they still let her cylon duplicate live because they have no gag reflex.

Oh.

Venture Bros corpses are almost valueless.

The bottom fell the hell out of that market.

10. Guy Gardener

Abandonment.

They had a good thing going in season one.

Maybe he looked up to Nolan like a father.

And then he split.

I'm assuming that's the fourth parent to ditch him in you count the original sheriff form the pilot.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Beh, it was a typical NuBSG wuss-out since we knew the show was over.

12. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Why are they showing 2 Defiance episodes back to back tonight?

13. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think that war between the angels show came on last week either. Maybe they are filling a hole in the schedule?

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

And then SARAH FUCKING CONNOR showed up to teach them how to fight a fucking war!

15. Lyon_Wonder

Lyon_Wonder Captain Captain

The Votan AI and is it’s ability to control and manipulate people like Irisa reminds me of the nanotech on NBC’s now-cancelled “Revolution”. Had Revolution been renewed for it’s third season, the nano would have been a large part of that show’s plot. And it looks like an AI that IMO, is a lot like the nano on Revolution is now playing a key part for the s2 finale of Defiance too.

16. Guy Gardener

Unless Dominion's Wikipedia page has been cleaned up by Syfy, it seems that season one was only meant to be 8 episodes long, and in retrospect, big things did happen in episode 8 that seemed climaxual and cliffhangery.

Dominion's concept and pilot was AWFUL... But once you accepted what was FUNDEMENTALLY wrong with it's prime movements, the whole Romeo and Juliet story played out with some entertainment value.

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm wowed by Christie's embracing of Casti values. That was a cool scene with the enhanced sense of smell.

Still don't get the Quentin stuff. And I don't get why the VC was holding his mother? What? I thought she was in a psyche hospital?

18. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay I guess an edited Spartacus could not go on early so many weeks in a row to fill the schedule hole.

19. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess I'll have to watch them both later.

20. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

in Canada we only got one according to my PVR (which records when ever there is a new episode broadcast reguardless of the day/time).