Lost 5x15: "Follow the Leader"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, May 6, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

45.2%
  2. Above Average

45.2%
  3. Average

8.1%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

1.6%
  1. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ BAH! Kate is Kate, and all she cares about is herself, no matter how much she claims to be concerned about other people.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Kate was thoughtful and considerate about everyone else, she'd walk around the island naked.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Above average. Which has been the norm week after week! These guys are consistently consistent!

All aspects were great. They're setting up the big finale where some are for and against attempting the change. Will they pull off the attempt? And, if they do, does it actually reset things? Speculation follows . . .

I don't think we'll get anything as simple as a yes, it worked as planned. Or no, it didn't work (either because the attempt didn't happen or it happened but just didn't change things). I don't even think we'll get, oops, they caused "The incident". We'll get another twist. Remember, Jack, Hurley, etc aren't even supposed to be there. So, they've already changed the past and that's rippled through to the present (witness the photo). The only question is, what kind of change will they kick-off? And therein lies the source of the twist I'm guessing.

My prediction: the season will end after the attempt we'll see some sort of new, alternate reality. I don't know what exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if reality changed but our characters, protected by the island, did not change. Thus, negating any desire to erase their agony.

I'm also expecting that we'll finally be transported back in time enough to see the civilization that built the statue and temples. And really learn, what lies in the shadow of the statue.

We may get a sneak peak in the finale but I think those will be themes that are really developed next season.

Mr Awe

4. Jenee

Jenee Dancing Goddess Premium Member

Claire wasn't strongly considering abortion, she was 8+ months pregnant and gave birth shortly after the crash.

She was going to LA to give Aaron up for adoption.

5. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry I really wasn't pasying attention to her face (especially when she emerged from the water into the tunnels:drool: )

6. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

My mistake. I knew I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Actually if Jack prevents Oceanic 815 from crashing on the Island, he would destroy the planet Earth. If Locke doesn't crash on the Island, he doesn't bang on Desmond's hatch just when Des is about to commit suicide. If he wasn't there, Des would have killed himself, and 120 minutes later the Swan black hole would have swallowed the Earth and killed all of humanity.

8. John Picard

The only reason Desmond is there is because Dharma kept drilling and hit a pocket of energy. After that, Dharma built the hatch and installed the computer with the timing mechanism for the button to be pushed.

One curiosity -- what about the Dharma supply planes that air-dropped food that the Losties picked up in Season 2?

9. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I was thinking it came through one of the time shifts and suddenly appeared during season 2. Of course it would have been sent out after the Swan station was built as it was a drop real close to it. But from where? Naomi's helicopter couldn't see the Island through the clouds and if the Island is constantly moving they would have to use the Lamp Post to get close.

Will we get an answer?

Did Locke, in 1954, mention Jacob to Richard when entering the camp?

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

If Ilana's group is really the current incarnation of the Dharma Initative, that would explain the food drops. They wanted to keep the Swan supplied to make sure their lone survivor kept pressing the button to prevent the planet from being destroyed!

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't think Kate cares about anyone else if they can't benefit her in some form or another. Any reasonable person with a conscience would be willing to take that risk if it meant saving everyone who'd suffered and died over the past three years because of the crash. I know I would be.

And that dead man knew a hell of a lot more about what was going on and what he was talking about than Kate could ever hope to understand. I certainly would have trusted Daniel. Kate is now the Jack to Jack's Locke--and which of those two turned out to be right in the end?

12. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

Is this true? I mean, eventually that button was not pushed and the world didn't end.

13. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Only because Desmond read "Our Mutual Friend" and saved everyone.

14. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

It's not true because there never would have been a button in the first place if the Incident is prevented. The whole point of preventing the Incident is that it means they never have to set up that system in the Swan where you have to keep pressing the button. Thus, "if Jack prevents Oceanic 815 from crashing on the Island, he would destroy the planet Earth" is faulty logic.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

You're right, I wasn't thinking that the Swan would never exist, just that the plane wouldn't crash.

16. Jenee

Jenee Dancing Goddess Premium Member

The Swan would exist, just for a different purpose. They're already building it, now.

17. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, because Jack will have to detonate the Nuke right above/around the Swan station since that is where the unstable energy is. So where the Swan is would/will be a radioactive crater in 2004.

18. John Picard

A Hydrogen bomb wouldn't leave radioactivity for very long.

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as we know, it didn't. :evil:

Everything is up in the air, pending the "game changer" next week. What this show's definition of "game changer" is, boggles my mind.

20. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

Ah right, the fail-safe. Did we ever discover if that massive energy release had some kind of lasting effect beyond the brief visibility to Penny's search team?