Abrams Directing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kamdan, Jan 24, 2013.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping that Abrams can give Star Wars more depth than it's had before in terms of a plot and quite frankly finding some actors who actually are good at their craft while not losing the child appeal that the series has had.

One thing I think JK Rowling did brilliantly with the Potter series is that she deepened and darkened the story without IMO making it less appealing to children. In so doing it broadened the fan base.

2. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Geezos cripes. Comparing that to Playmates' line of figures for JJ's Star Trek, it's almost Hot Toys quality in comparison.

3. DarthTom

I'd say so.

[​IMG]

BTW, who the fuck is paying $250-$400 for a Star Fleet uniform

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

No kidding. And at $290 for a gold tunic, you should at least get captain's stripes, and not be a lowly lieutenant.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I actually didn't mind the 2009 Star Trek figures that much. Spock Prime and Nero looked amazing, but sadly they were among the first ones to sell out....by the time the movie left theaters most of the leftover, unsold figures were Sulu and Scotty. Mostly Sulu. John Cho's figure got no love.

6. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyrxV7Js4mc&[/yt]

7. DarthTom

This article on CNN I think pretty much sums up all of the angst about this. Has anyone monitored popular Wars posting sites? I bet they are going nuts as well. LOL

CNN

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you think that with Abrams doing Star Wars there might actually be some, you know, sex appeal to the damned thing? He got Spock and Uhura together rather unexpectedly in Star Trek, and that's turning out really cool.

Of course no one wants to see Fisher and Ford bumping uglies this late in the day, but there have got to be new young characters carrying the movie.

Saldana should be in it. That would be the trifecta - Avatar, Star Trek and Star Wars.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, aside from the umpteen novelists who have done so. :)

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

*sigh*

I remain the only fan of Vonda McIntyre's The Crystal Star. It's nothing like Star Wars, everybody acts out of character and the plot leads nowhere... but it's a wonderfully bizarre read.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as Abrams isn't ANYWHERE near Orci, Kurtzman, Lindelof or Burke, him directing Star Wars might not be such a catastrophe.

But his preferred visual style would still suck incredibly in a Star Wars film. Shaky cam, whip pans and lens flares? Hell no.

The fan thing will be funny. Star Trek purposely didn't give fuck about the fans because it was run into the ground, and they were all like "We're making this for the general audience, and if yo Trek fans HAPPEN to like it, good for you.". But this isn't gonna fly with the Star Wars audience, nor is there any need to do it, so they will be all like "This one is for the fans!" Hilarious.

12. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No Orci and Kurtzman is why I'm optimistic. Most of the problems with Trek 09 are with the shitty script. The visual style irritates me a lot too at times but otherwise it's very cinematic and not too bad. Frankly, the writers of Transformers 2 have no interesting thoughts to ever offer me.

I hope he doesn't use this style and tries to distance this from his Trek films. It seems likely, although I'd wager we'll still get lens flare.

Star Trek fans have a stereotype of being nerds so JJ Abrams' mean-spirited "This isn't aimed at THOSE people!" remarks were just to make his product appear cooler and more mainstream. He gets to be more honest with Wars as he'd just be insulting himself if he said the same thing.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Political spin machines would be awestruck at how this out of context remark has been blown out of proportion. :lol:

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Vonda was actually one of my old writing instructors, but I confess I've never read that one.

It's a small world . . . .

15. panthers34343

panthers34343 Ensign Newbie

Double post.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  16. BillJ

Editing is your friend. :techman:

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And yet, you loved his first Star Trek movie:

18. BillJ

But DalekJim was on drugs when he saw the movie and posted those comments! :lol:

19. panthers34343

panthers34343 Ensign Newbie

I wasn't disputing the fact that the NFL was more popular than Major League Baseball, I specifically said "Yes the NFL makes more money than MLB", what I was disputing was the methodology of just counting movie grosses when Trek is primarily a TV product.

Are you kidding? Where do you get this stuff from?

The recent Pro Bowl got 12.2 million viewers in one game,

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/29/3929672/pro-bowl-2013-ratings-down

The most recent NBA Finals got an average of 16.9 million viewers in five games.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-with-best-5-game-averages-in-8-years/139086/

So that's 12.2 million view vs about 84.5 million views.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-with-best-5-game-averages-in-8-years/139086/

By sheer revenue Major League Baseball is only 2 billion behind the NFL. 9 billion vs 7 billion

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-biggest-pie-in-sports-2011-3

So hey what does this have to do with Star Trek/Star Wars? Maybe the gap between the popularity of the two isn't as big as you'd think, and even if it was using movie tickets sales is a flawed way of determining it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  20. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It must have been a magical experience.