Favorite blatant contradictions

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JirinPanthosa, Dec 28, 2012.

1. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

In "Nothing Human," they end up deleting a hologram based on a Cardassian Mengele because his methods were developed by torturing humanoids.

In countless episodes, they use Borg tech from Seven that was developed by torturing humanoids.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

So to be fair, and I'm with you on this one... They should have wiped her memory back to the day before the Borg turned up and extract every unit of Borg Hardware from Anika until she has to live in an iron Lung like Neelix did after the Vidiians took his lungs in The Phage or a cuubersome life support chair on wheels like Pike?

So if this was the case... Kim wouldn't have been so intimidated and have slept with her in Revulsion when she demanded he take his pants off?

OH.

He was revolted by her?

Name of the frakking episode.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a blatant contradiction in real life as well.

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Don't get me started :evil:

What they did to Hirogens was far, far worse :wtf:

5. Guy Gardener

Gave them holograms in defiance of the Prime Directive until they were hunted down tot he last man?

6. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope.

Destroying the hologram was stupid.

You know, if some method of curing cancer had come out of turning some of my dad's family into lampshades, I sure as hell wouldn't want them to destroy that cure simply because it was developed using nefarious means.

7. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seriously.

"I pray to the Prophets and hope they will relay this message to my NaNa, 'Hey NaNa, we were going to cure this crewmate of mine with knowledge gained by your death...but you'll be happy to know we decided to let her die.'"

8. Guy Gardener

Logically I do agree, but sometimes emotions blur the subject.

The NAZIs invented snorkels.

Can you imagine the world if we took all the snorkels and burnt them and then refused to produce any more?

I don't float. Seriously I just walk on the bottom of swimming pools. I'm very dense, and I can't hold my breath very long.

It's fricking dangerous.

If it wasn't for NAZI Gemany I would never dare swim in any water above my nipples.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm picturing you now driving a Volkswagon Beetle, wearing a snorkel.

10. Guy Gardener

80 percent of the time, I do make the jump over the swimming pool without turning my wagon into a submarine.

11. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Bravo! Tat was really quite funny. Loved the turbo lift scene :lol:

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I admit, harping on minor contradictions even gets folks hating the really good VOY stories.

Look at "Living Witness". Great story, but all anyone harps on is how "It contradicts how the Doctor can't be backed up!"

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well if they had planned ahead they could have had a line in an earlier episode, saying they had found a way to back up the EMH. But alas that would be to hard.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems to me copying a computer program, no matter how big, would be rather simple.

15. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

But they are constantly saying how something or another simply can't be done ... and then they figure out a way to do it.

16. R. Star

Then they lose it.

17. Guy Gardener

Unless it had elements in it's program that forbade or fought copying.

There's proprietory rights at one side of the spectrum and the prime directive at the other.

Do they really want the Klingons to get hold of an emh and turn him into a billion dogsoldiers?

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Come to think of it, why didn't they ever back up Data?

Yeah, they also must have made about ten thousand copies of the bootup state of the EMH's program. No way they programmed 10,000 EMHs individually.

It is pretty weird that after refusing to give Starfleet tech to the Kazon they give it away like candy in several instances later in the season. Besides that I don't see any issues with the Hirogen thing though. It did end up saving lives, it made fewer Hirogen hunt actual living beings. They just didn't know the Hirogen would end up turning their holograms sentient.

19. Guy Gardener

Data's program needs a positronic brain to work properly, or even possibly at all, and he was certain that if he left his brain or backed up his brain, he might return without the soul he believes that he has, or at least that's the crap he spun for Maddox when they tried to back up Data.

Lal, his daughter, had copies of parts of his brain, B4 too.

20. R. Star

So have Janeway fire out her authorization code. If she can destroy the ship by herself on a whim, I think she can authorize the copying of a computer file.