Minbari vs. Klingon

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Dingo, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

I was watching a bit of Babylon 5 today and a though did strike me. In a squad on squad fight (5 vs 5) of Klingon warriors vs. Minbari warriors who would win?

I would assume with weaponry, skills and armor being equal the fight would be even given Minbari are physically quite redundant (I'd put them on the same level as Klingons for physical toughness).

I'd say at close range especially the fight could go either way.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Minbari would psyche them out in the end and kick their asses.

3. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Do klingons even fight in squads?

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

As shown on the show, Klingons aren't particularly good hand to hand fighters. A heavily pregnant Kira once dropped one with a single kick to the tummy.

:)

5. Drago-Kazov

He had to be a newbie.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

If it was the TOS Klingons all we would hear is the sound of their disruptors as they mow the Minbari down.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

8. Drago-Kazov

I know, i read the Krad klingon books. It's just the fact that we did not see any klingons fighting in units using small group tactics onscreen...

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In DS9, when the station was boarded/invaded by dozen and dozens of Klingons. Once on the station they fought as individuals, not even in pairs.

:)

10. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Are you certain about that? I can't think of any episode between "Body Parts" and "The Begotten" where Kira fought a Klingon hand-to-hand.

11. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

In terms of a squad of each facing off, I think I'd go with the Minbari as the victors. I think it's because the Minbari have greater discipline. The warrior's life is similar to the life of all their people, regardless of which caste they're in - it's all about duty, self-improvement, acknowledgement of spiritual purpose. Functioning effectively as part of a larger group. The idealized Klingon warrior, which is what Worf attempts to be, is close to this, but in practice Klingons don't live up to those ideals. The discipline is lacking. They fight because they enjoy it, because it's an outlet for their frustrations, and because that's just what Klingons are "meant to do". It's all rather self-indulgent, both on an individual and a society-wide level. Minbari live in a society where such indulgence wouldn't be permitted - a warrior dedicates him- or herself to warriorhood with the intention of being the best he or she can; a Klingon is all too often just a guy who can wave a knife around and brawl.

12. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

Surely you mean heavily pregnant, stabbed, Kira? ;)

13. Fastwalker

Fastwalker Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Completely agree with you Nasat. Klingons boast to be warriors who follow the code of honor. When in reality, to Worf's displeasure, its quite the opposite.

Minbari's Warrior Caste completely dedicate themselves to the Way of the Warrior. Not as a job, but as a state of being or religion. They hone their skills on a daily basis, even as a turret gunner, by themselves and part of a team. Plus, Minbari's civilization is many millennia older than both Klingon and Federation. IMHO, Minbari technology is more advance. (Which gives me an idea for a new topic. Thanks!)

Klingons do train as warriors. But they don't practice like the Minbari does as a religion. Most Klingons are too busy drinking, eating and brawling. Hardly proof they're tougher in combat. Its like the difference between a regular Army soldier versus Special Forces (e.g., SEALs, SAS, GSG9, etc.)

14. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

It would be quite an interesting contest of a Batt'leth vs. a Minbari fighting pike. I would say the X-Factor is the Minbari discipline and utter dedication to their warrior ways. The Klingon's X-Factor is sheer ferocity.

I think a Dahar Master would be able to equal a Minbari warrior in terms of skill and mental discipline.

If this were a Deadliest Warrior Episode I would imagine the two Klingon experts being Worf and Martok with the Minbari experts being Neroon and Kalain. I can see Worf arguing vehemently that the Klingon warrior culture is equal to that of the Minbari.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

They should just headbutt each other like rams

16. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd also give the advantage to the Minbari because they also make good use of guile, deception and cunning in ways that Klingons don't seem to either grasp or acknowledge as useful skills for a warrior. We see those skills employed by the likes of the Cardassians and Romulans...who like fighting in the shadows. Klingons prefer the direct approach even when its more likely to get them killed.

17. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Klingons are Barbarians whereas Minbari are Samurai.

Or something to that effect...

18. Mr. Laser Beam

That's because Klingons view subterfuge and deception as inherently dishonorable. I'm inclined to agree with them. There's something to be said for direct, forceful, absolute truth.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Except when they don't.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

For every Minbari who says that all Klingons are drunken louts who do nothing but headbutt each other, there's a Klingon who'll reply that Minbari are humorless stuck-up cold fish who mention Valen every other word. Who's right? Neither, of course. ;)