DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Well I have just about read them all and have only been disapointed by a couple. Legion Lost, Grifter, Mr. Terrific and Hawk & Dove just didnt grab me on first readings. The art of H&D and LL was hard to get past and the stories in the other two just did not get anything exciting going. On the other hand Animal Man and Detective were both terrific books.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Majestic was in the DCU briefly in a mini by Abnett and Lanning years ago.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did they keep him in space? That sounds like something DnA would do.

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

No he was a short-term replacement for Superman when Superman was somewhere else (I can't actually remember where) - and then had a mini-series set on earth where he got a secret identity. Then.. em.. he went home...

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I really wish there was a Planetary book in the DCnU.

I know it's not feasible for Ellis to write it or Cassaday to draw it. But if it were written under Ellis' direction, I'd be all over it.

Elijah Snow and his team investigating the secret history of the DCnU. It would be fantastic.

I should note that Planetary barely fit in the Wildstorm universe to start with. Hell, Wildstorm rebooted before Planetary #27, and that didn't affect the ending of Planetary one bit, with the world now a technological utopia thanks to Snow and the Planetary Foundation using the Four's technology.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I'm thinking some guys just couldnt handle the multi book grind every month or a few issues in they and their bosses realized they really didnt have a handle on the character in question and needed to be moved elsewhere. Getting the books out on time at least for the first year should be something DC has high on its important list.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is an interesting observation:

Most of the article is either a debunking or viewing with skepticism a lot of what's being rumored.

9. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

This too:
    If true, it sounds like some titles should be viewed as mini-series rather than ongoing...

10. Myasishchev

Which is a good argument for loose editorial control* and continuity only affecting one book, not for integration into the DCU, though.

*Although the fact it took ten years to push 27 issues isn't. Warren Ellis: a lazy jerk. "NO QUESTIONS ABOUT PLANETARY" "Finish your story, old man! No one cares about the Ultimate Fantastic Four!"

11. Admiral_Young

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I really don't like that costume. :shrug:

13. Allyn Gibson

Planetary was as close to a labor of love as you can get from a big publisher; there was very little money in it upfront for Ellis and Cassaday, so they would frequently chase paychecks, Ellis by writing other books, Cassaday with his artwork for Marvel and Dynamite and, later, his film work. It wasn't laziness but paycheck economics that caused Planetary to be spread across ten years.

14. Hound of UIster

This is the same team that brought up a run of Superman and Batman that was worse than Jeph Loeb. Good here is only relative in terms of the bottom of the slush pile.

15. Admiral_Young

Yeah I thought I recognized them. I don't like Kara's costume either. Interesting that it implies she arrives to Earth already in it lol. I'm guessing that these are like regular Kryptonian clothing in the 52Verse.

16. Hound of UIster

Krul is off GA.

My Pull List
    BATMAN #1
    BIRDS OF PREY #1
    CATWOMAN #1
    DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #1
    GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1
    NIGHTWING #1
    WONDER WOMAN #1

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  17. Allyn Gibson

Stephanie Brown is back as Spoiler in Batman: Incorporated: Leviathan Strikes. It's not unexpected, but it is disappointing. I was hoping DC would publish it as a pre-Batgirl #24 comic, since the issue of Batgirl with Stephanie in London was to continue into the storyline with Bruce and Steph kicking ass at a boarding school.

18. Admiral_Young

Looking forward to the end of "season one" of Batman, Inc. I'm already going through Morrison Batman withdrawal. Disappointing but kind of expected with regards to Steph. I'm just glad she is in tact.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Full list of creative changes here

20. Myasishchev

"If I graduate" from what?:lol:

In fairness, it's not like they had much say in how it looked.

The art is pretty decent, but doesn't really match the words. They say it's going through the mantle? That's not what an impact drilling through the mantle would look like, it'd be a bit bigger.

Also, Supergirl fights mechas yaaawwwn. And "A restricted area"? What is? Siberia? Earth? This is what second drafts are for guys.

Kara's narration is okay, though.

ETA: and about the art, I'm getting the distinct impression that Asrar is one of those guys who is much better at drawing people than he is things. I mean, that's illustrious company--Jae Lee can't draw shit except people (and gargoyles), and Pete Woods has a hard time of it too occasionally

My understanding was that Ellis got sick, and didn't have the thing scripted, and Cassaday had to seek work in order to live (although it doesn't appear he has to do so anymore, given his recent output has been--entirely?--incredibly bland covers, including that hilarious [yet still bland] one from JMS's Superman), and then when Ellis recovered, he actually lost a lot of interest in doing Planetary, and finished it begrudgingly.

Maybe it's a chicken and the egg thing. Like, he couldn't do regular work on Planetary because of money, but when people bitched about it, he started getting sick of Planetary.

Of course, given that Planetary was surely his best-loved work of the past ten years, if he wasn't making money off it, something's weird.