View Single Post
Old July 31 2014, 06:28 AM   #37
Lance
Commodore

Re: Favourite Much-Maligned TNG Episodes

Chairslinger wrote: View Post
Also, I think Symbiosis is a really good episode(not just as a personal favorite, but as an overall episode). I have heard it take some flack for being an after school special with Tasha and Wesley's scene about drug abuse. But I also thought it had a nice twist with the disease turning out to be drug addiction. But best of all, it was probably the most nuanced handling of the Prime Directive in the first season with Picard finding a creative, but not perfect, solution to helping the Ornarans.

I think the scene with Picard and Crusher in the turbolift really established that the Prime Directive in TNG wasn't just a dusty old frustrating plot impediment that kept keeping the crew from doing what seemed immediately "right". It was something that Picard believed in, and for good reason.

"... Beverly, the Prime Directive is not just a set of rules; it is a philosophy... and a very correct one. History has proved again and again that whenever mankind interferes with a less developed civilization, no matter how well intentioned that interference may be, the results are invariably disastrous."
While I agree it's a great speech and there's some excellent interplay (even conflict!) generated between the characters, it is rather undermined by Picard's own actions in episodes from earlier in the same season, leading to unfortunate contradictions. It's a shame he couldn't have been so clear cut in his principals when it came to the events of "Justice", or "Angel One".
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote