Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Really? The season 5 sequence is my favorite of all of them. I like the retrospective look, the inclusion of so many quotes and so forth. The second half as the credits begin to roll isn't quite as nice as the first half, but I still like it over all.

2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Well, maybe because I just watched the first four seasons, so a flashback intro doesn't interest me. And, it just seems odd to me that the new character on the show is buried in the second tier credits.

3. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

season 5 credits are far and away my favorite.

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Still don't like it.

Just finished up 'A View from the Gallery', and that has to be the most contrived bunch of bullshit ever put on television.

Though I do get Neroon's "blue collar" avatar entry a couple of weeks ago in Gen SciFi....

:lol:

5. Neroon

I can understand that.
    Considering the circumstances surrounding the new character and her timing, there probably wasn't a whole lot that could have been done. There are quite a few SAG rules governing things like credits.

Don't leave it there. Be more specific. Was it the structure, the fact that it was about one-off "lower decks" characters?

Yes! He CAN be taught! :lol:

6. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

HOLY JEEZUS

That King Arthur episode was really shite. I watched most of season 3 up until that point, now I'm taking a break cause it was pretty terrible.

7. Phily B

Also, I already knew about Gkar because he was the one Romulan dude in TNG.

8. Neroon

But what about it struck you as being so "terrible"? I don't doubt you feel this way, but enough people like the episode that it makes me very curious when someone says they don't like it.

9. Phily B

It was just a bit lame and boring, there was pretty much no development of the main arc. It felt like total filler to me, which I hate hate hate.

Sure it had a good conclusion, it was just a bit random, especially when he started doing his jedi knight skills. The best part was when G'Kar fell onto the table drunk.

10. Neroon

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference. The standalone type of episode is designed to give the viewer a bit of a break fro the ongoing story. I can't think of a single series with an extended story arc that doesn't do this on several occasions. B5 is well-known for the long arc, true. Yet many of these standalones work well in fleshing out characters, having a little fun, etc. Yeah... file that under "well, duh!" :o

IN the case of "A Late Delivery From Avalon", you get the overall arc itself fleshed out more. It may not advance the story further, but it fills in more of the gaps and give you a glimpse into the humanity involved which essentially began that story: a key player in the cause of the Earth-Minbari War.

11. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Not to mention a small scene with...
    ...another key player in the cause of the Earth-Minbari war.

I agree with Neroon. I wouldn't have cared as much what happened to these characters without the less arc-intensive episodes. There's at least *some* arc in just about every episode, even if you don't see it yet.

But then, I pretty much always enjoyed the off-format episodes. In A View from the Gallery the only part I really disliked was Mack telling Lochley that she was all right in his book. That part was cringeworthy.

And the fifth season opening sequence is definitely my fave.

Jan

12. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Make an exception when you get to "The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father".

13. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Wow...interesting how different people like different opening credits. I like season 5's okay...but they are certainly not my favorite.

And Od0 - season 5 is not anywhere as good as season 4. The first half of season 5 is thought of as being the worst stretch of episodes in the series by many people, in fact (myself included). However, the second half of the season improves noticeably and the show ends strongly. So just hang onto your seat for a few days and tough it out.

The good news is that no matter which character you hated most in the past...he or she will likely be replaced very soon. :lol:

14. Glad i'm not the only one who feels that way (as its somewhat of a fan favorite). In particular i hated how sugary sweet in awe and reverence of sheriden/delenn/etc the two guys were. I wish one of them was resentful or didn't like them (a la people and today's politicians).

Season 5 as a whole just doesn't feel like the same show. I think the credits are ok but the music is so different it just lends to this general feeling I get that "season 5 isn't REAL babylon 5" though obviously its part of the series so its the fault of the content for projecting that feeling. in particular i cant believe how long the byron arc goes on for. Oy.

15. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

i really dislike Late Delivery from Avalon. part of it is that the black-and-white scenes just don't work for me (like they were trying too hard to be artsy).

that said, i really do like the scene when Arthur knights G'kar. such a great scene. but it can't make up for an otherwise really lousy outing.

i wonder if all king-arthur fans liked this aspect of B5? i mean, i didn't like marcus and the rangers either, but i think LOTR fans really did...

16. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Well, not to be too spoiler-y, but there was an openin' in the first tier - why not put her there?

It was contrived 'cause it seemed like Mack & Bo were all over the damn station, from command to brown, at random, and yet they managed to bump into every damn person in the openin' credits by goin' round a corner, literally.

And the one time they get sent somewhere by a direct supervisor, only Bo has the comm thing. Why wouldn't Mack have one, too? Sure, they are a team, but as the scenes in Medlab & CinC showed, they were seperated from time to time.

It was crap.

:p

I still wouldn't have voted for it, though.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm still waiting to hear what you think about Byron, Od0. Or is that on your live journal which is inexplicably blocking me this week?

18. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Nah, I only write up my general thoughts on the show at the end of each season.

As for Byron...

I think he's a threat. I think that he's too powerful. I think the long hair makes him look gay. I think that if there is goin' to be a "telepath war" Byron will be one of its generals, and he will be goin' against Sheridan and the others, not with them like Sheridan is hopin', just because he's givin' 'em a place to stay on the station. If Sheridan wants an ally, he should have let 'em move into a better section of the station.

19. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

How much are they?

20. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, and count me in on the "I like the season 5 opening credits" camp. ;)