View Single Post
Old June 28 2014, 04:58 PM   #880
Christopher
Writer

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Just saw Pretty Maids All in a Row as well. I thought it was pretty risqué for 1971, yet tame in other ways since there were certain things you couldn't show back then. A teenage boy in the bathroom after some alone time with the hot teacher? Better have him counting sheep.
In retrospect, I'm surprised it didn't have a group nude scene in the girls' shower, or any kind of voyeurism scene, like a number of sex comedies from later years. But this was, I gather, one of the first MPAA-era American movies with nudity, so maybe certain tropes hadn't emerged yet.

I also saw a bit of Gene in something besides the sexual stuff. It was when Tiger was making a recording of how kids should learn as well as society in general. There was some of that modern Trek idealism in there.
Well, aside from the part about how it seemed we were inexorably racing toward Armageddon. But yeah, maybe somewhat.

Mostly, though, I think that aside from
Tiger may have been the closest thing we've ever seen to a self-portrait of Gene Roddenberry -- totally in love with his wife and kid, yet able to effortlessly attract other women and not hesitating to take advantage of the fact as often as he could, and seeing no conflict there.

- JoAnna Cameron retired from acting. Oddly enough, her last acting role was in a movie called Swan Song. I looked into why she no longer acts and found the following which might be worth looking into...

I'm getting in here late but here is another possible theory as to why JoAnna Cameron didn't get more roles. I can't figure out which book it is looking around on the internet but there is a book either by Gene Roddenberry, or about Gene Roddenberry, in which there is info about a film called Pretty Maids All in a Row (1971), for which Roddenberry wrote the script. Rodenberry wrote the script, it seems, so that every actress that got a role as a "pretty maid" also had a nude scene. Apparently all the actresses agreed and did their nude scenes except one, who backed out on the day the nude scene was to be shot and after there had already been a lot of footage shot of her, so it wasn't worth replacing her. As a result, according to this book, contracts for films requiring nudity were rewritten in the industry so that it was clear the actor or actress had agreed to do nudity. The actress that backed out is never identified in the book, but if you watch the movie, or see the Playboy pictorial published at the release of the film, it seems JoAnna was the only actress with a fairly major role who did no nudity. - Source
I'm not sure I buy that. There were eight actresses listed in the opening credits as "The Pretty Maids," and only five of them had nude scenes, sometimes quite brief (Aimée Eccles is only seen from the side/rear for about five seconds). Although I guess it's possible that a couple of nude scenes were filmed but edited out for time. (I'm not counting Angie Dickinson's seminude scene face down on the bed or Barbara Leigh's bare-backed chessboard scene, since we're talking specifically about the "Maids.")

Anyway, I don't see how that would've influenced Cameron's retirement from acting, for it was only 2 years into her 11-year acting career and she did a lot more work after this movie than before it (most notably Isis). And it's interesting to note that she co-starred with Rock Hudson again in a 1977 McMillan & Wife episode.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote