View Single Post
Old June 25 2014, 05:34 PM   #131
Enterprise1701
Fleet Captain

Re: LE: One Constant Star by David R. George III Review Thread (Spoile

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
hbquikcomjamesl wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who, when Tenger's backstory was given, wondered how it fits in with Orion "slave" women being the real rulers of their society?
Some of the books, e.g. Rise of the Federation series, have gone into that in more depth and suggested (logically, I think) that the degree of pheromonal allure differs from Orion to Orion, so that while some females are powerful and seductive enough pheromone-wise that they become de facto rulers of their society, others aren't (and the women who are guard their control jealously, at that). The commoner woman isn't anything special. I suppose that might also contribute to the desire among some Orion women to be as beautiful and alluring as possible, even through artificial means - it would be, perhaps, part and parcel of seeking to better yourself economically in the super-capitalist Orion system?
Just think about it. Do you suppose Gaila from Star Trek 2009 would ever be allowed to set foot on Starfleet grounds if it were known that she can influence any average humanoid male? And we can't just throw out every DS9 relaunch novel containing Treir.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote