Thread: Best of Bantam?
View Single Post
Old June 23 2014, 02:14 AM   #30
Steve Roby
Re: Best of Bantam?

hbquikcomjamesl wrote: View Post
Actually, anybody who read Gerrold's two nonfiction works for Ballantine (The World of Star Trek and The Trouble with Tribbles) instantly recognized exactly what The Galactic Whirlpool is: it's a reworking of the very first spec outline he pitched to Star Trek, originally titled "Tomorrow Was Yesterday," with the title plot element added in order to provide the story with some much-needed jeopardy.
My regrettably moribund website has an old feature article on Gerrold's Trek stuff. On Galactic Whirlpool:

There are no brilliant classics in the Bantam line, but they're entertaining in their own ways. No one had really decided what a Star Trek novel was yet, and there was nothing more than TOS and TAS to work with. They're historically interesting, just like Mack Reynolds's Mission to Horatius.

Back in the 70s I liked Spock, Messiah for having one or two interesting ideas and for showing signs of having read the Star Fleet Technical Manual; the two Star Trek: The New Voyages books for presenting a variety of story styles; Joe Haldeman's first book for doing some good flashback stuff for McCoy; Gordon Eklund's Starless World for introducing the Dyson Sphere concept to the Star Trek universe; and Gerrold's Galactic Whirlpool because the opportunity meant something to Gerrold and he ran with it, if not always successfully (see the spoiler coded stuff for some commentary).

I won't argue that they're essential in a literary sense, but I tend to consider them essential as a part of Trek literary history -- that is, if you're seriously interested in Star Trek books, you should be familiar with these ones.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote