View Single Post
Old June 18 2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Robert Maxwell
Amphibious Admiral

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: post traumatic stress syndrome - any advice to share?

I definitely recommend meditation.

This one is harder but I would also advise paying close attention to your thought patterns. When you find yourself being triggered into an anxiety attack or a bout with phobia, try to determine what it is that set you off, and spend some time thinking about it, talking yourself through it rationally. This, of course, can be very difficult if your anxiety is heightened. It takes practice.

Although I don't know if therapy is an option for you, you may wish to investigate dialectical behavioral therapy. This is a common treatment (in fact, one of the few effective treatments) for borderline personality disorder (BPD), and it has some success with PTSD sufferers, as well. Even if you can't get in to see a therapist, research how DBT works and see if any of its techniques can help you in a self-directed manner. The general idea is to monitor your own thoughts and feelings so that you can learn to regulate them.

I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with this and I wish you the best of luck in learning to manage and even overcome it.