View Single Post
Old June 16 2014, 04:45 AM   #9
Destructor
Commodore

Re: Khan on Klingons

Christopher wrote: View Post
In the case of Khan's "Klingon proverb," I won't believe it's actually a Klingon proverb unless I hear it from a Klingon source.
I suppose the opening title card of 'Kill Bill' can't be counted as canon, since it may just have been quoting Khan.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Nicholas Meyer seemed to make a running gag of having characters attribute old Earth sayings or writings to alien cultures, like Spock claiming "Only Nixon could go to China" (a political aphorism coined in 1971) as a Vulcan proverb, and the bit about "Shakespeare in the original Klingon." Maybe sort of a variation on Chekov's "Russia invented everything" gimmick.
I seem to recall Meyer saying that it was inserted into the original 'dinner table' conversation with the Klingons because the conversation already had parallels with Nazi Germany ("We need breathing room." etc) and apparently, during the war, Germany did genuinely try to appropriate Shakespeare (and other generally beloved pop culture artifacts) by pointing at his German roots and saying that he 'belonged' to Germany (the way Aussies try and appropriate Crowded House from the kiwis) which Meyer found interesting so he inserted a line that imagined Klingons trying to do the same.

From a sci-fi point of view, if anyone remembers the movie 'Enemy Mine', they both realize their 'holy books' are basically the same document, since we all love peace and such. So it's reasonable that Klingons might have had a famous playwright who wrote about death and kings and love and war; and, on reading Shakespeare might have said: "Hey! This is just like Ch'Tang (or whoever)" and so they might say he was 'the original Shakespeare' to humans (the alternative being that they were SO IMPRESSED with Shakes that they just tried to steal him, which seems unlikely).

Last edited by Destructor; June 16 2014 at 04:55 AM.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote