View Single Post
Old June 13 2014, 01:38 PM   #163
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

You all know I have my issues with the movie, but there are some things I loved about STID as well:

1. Carol Marcus.

I know everyone complains to the hilt about her space undies scene, but I think it's one of those situations where she wanted him to peak. She did have a significant role later in the movie, for all intents and purposes she saved the Enterprise.

You see more than this at the beach.

I'm glad it appears she's going to be part of the team going forward.

2. Sulu's sitting in the captain's chair.

John Cho's potrayal of our favorite helmsman has been outstanding in both movies. This speech to Khan was off the charts good. (love McCoy's response to it too)

Sulu: Attention: John Harrison. This is Captain Hikaru Sulu of the USS Enterprise. A shuttle of highly trained officers is on its way to your location. If you do not surrender to them immediately, I will unleash the entire payload of advanced long-range torpedoes currently locked on to your location. You have two minutes to confirm your compliance. Refusal to do so will result in your obliteration. And If you test me, you will fail.

Bones: Mr. Sulu, remind me never to piss you off.

Right up there with "Fly her apart then!" in TUC.

3. Greenwood and Pine's performance when Pike takes command away from Kirk. For the first time, I think Kirk realized that he had to answer to something. For the first time, he realized he truely didn't grasp what it really means to sit in that chair. Greenwood's Pike was truly outstanding in both movies. I'm sad that he's gone.

4. Scotty resigning. "I thought we were explorers?" brought a tear to my eye. The look of Kirk's face when he excepted was telling as well.

5. Spock out smarting Khan.

Khan: A wise choice, Mr. Spock. I see all 72 torpedoes are still in their tubes. If they're not mine, Commander, I will know it.
Spock: Vulcans do not lie. The torpedoes are yours.
Khan: Thank you, Mr. Spock.

Of course, Spock did not lie. Loved it.

There is allot to love in this movie.