View Single Post
Old June 11 2014, 07:37 PM   #27
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: USS Kelvin - is there an official size?

Dukhat wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
In the movie Deckard isn't a replicant, it wasn't a case of it being too subtle for the audience to pick-up on, it was completely missing from the movie's narrative.

As I mentioned, I was talking about the Director's cut, not the theatrical release.
It makes no difference, as the unicorn was meant for Rachel, not for Deckard. That's kind of the point of Gaff's warning "It's too bad she won't live, but then again who does?" basically meaning he was all set to terminate Rachel too, but decided not to because she didn't actually have that much time left anyway.

It's basically an inversion of the original ending of "Electric Sheep" in which Rachel convinces Deckard to sleep with her, thus forming an empathic bond with her (and by association, ALL androids) which is supposed to make it impossible for him to continue to hunt them anymore. Blade Runner changes that ending so that Deckard stays with her willingly (he's already retired so it's no big deal) where in "Electric Sheep" he's all "Fuck it, I'm gonna go home and sleep this off."

And it's really not important, because I was just using it as an example of how the people who actually created ST '09 didn't feel the need to beat us over the head with the fact that this was the original TOS universe before Nero mucked things up.
But you're again conflating plot background with fridge logic. The story makes the direct implication that the Abramsverse sprang from a variation in the Primeverse, nothing subtle about it.