View Single Post
Old June 11 2014, 05:09 PM   #154
martok2112
Commander

Re: Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

Franklin wrote: View Post
drt wrote: View Post
2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Now, I know that J.J. Abrams has made it known to all that he's not a STAR TREK fan. Well, I find that a little hard to believe, based on the evidence presented to us, so far.
I'm pretty sure the "I was never really a Star Trek fan" (or however that quote goes) was part of the same Paramount marketing concern about Star Trek insularity that also led to the similarly distancing "not your father's Star Trek" tagline.
I've always wondered how good the movies would've been if he had been a big fan.

(Given he's such a big SW fan, if karma really is a bitch, watch his Star Wars be full of nothing but fanboy fanwank. "Only I know what Star Wars really is, and this is movie is mine, mine, all mine! It's my way or I take my mystery box and go home!" )
That has always been my concern ever since Nemesis. Even though Nemesis is my favorite the Next Gen era movies, it is highly flawed, and a large part of it I attribute to John Logan (co-writer) who said he was a bigtime Trek fan, and wanted to see the Enterprise do things it hadn't done before. This is fine by me, to an extent, but I do think his inner fanboy got just a wee bit carried away, and it resulted in a movie that was largely unpalatable not just to most Trek fans...but to the average movie-goer.

So we'll just have to wait and see if Abrams' inner fanboy rears its ugly head for Star Wars VII.

Thank God I'm not a fan of anything anymore.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote