View Single Post
Old June 10 2014, 04:19 AM   #19
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral
Re: USS Kelvin - is there an official size?

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
Its scale is inconsistent. It's much bigger in one of the shots. That the Enterprise's edges are out of frame matters little
It matters quite a bit, since we have no way to judge the relative sizes of the saucer (of EITHER ship) because we can't see all of it. Not that we're really MEANT to, the scene is cropped that way so that the saucer looks like a solid wall of pain that the ship now has to suddenly avoid.
Huh? Things further away look smaller.
Unless they're relatively close together with a very deep field.

Like a couple of battleships parked side by side. The farther one actually looks a little bit bigger because it's farther away, plus you can't see as much of it as you can the closer one, so the mind lets you believe that a lot more of the ship is hidden than is actually there.

Please explain what kind of depth of field makes objects far away look bigger than close objects.
So I drew two saucers in Sketchup, both of them exactly 16 meters in diameter. Then I positioned them about two meters away, one sideways and one edge on, and tilted one kinda like the Enterprise.

Here's the view with a deep field:

Here is THE EXACT SAME VIEW in a shallow (camera close) field:

I again emphasize these two saucers are exactly the same size. In the second image, the farther saucer "looks smaller" relative to the closer one, as you would expect. In the first image, you're viewing the interaction with a deep narrow field and the farther saucer looks immense.

The first image is thus very similar to the actual scene, in which the more distant saucer is probably around the same size as the Enterprise saucer:

Maybe the one odd thing about CGI modeling in movies is the ability to perform these kinds of camera tricks. You can pull off an arbitrarily far camera position because the camera has basically infinite magnification, so you could shoot two ships in the same frame with a camera relative position a million kilometers away, or floating invisibly directly between the warp nacelles. Whichever position makes the scene look best.

And just because I'm a jerk and sort of a perfectionist, here's the above image from a different angle:
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Starfleet - Online Now!

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; June 10 2014 at 06:51 AM.
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote