View Single Post
Old June 6 2014, 06:06 AM   #126
Sleigh Ride
Commodore

Re: The racist legacy of Star Trek

Uhura: Any number of listings (I personally read the first 10) when I Googled "did MLK and Nichelle have a conversation?"...they most certainly did...just like she said...and, I also learned that there was a "black/white"'romance story line with her when she was in "The Lieutenants" that was not allowed to air because of the time and the content...Roddenberry was later quoted as lamenting this, and being determined to make Star Trek as diverse as he was possibly able...

C-3PO...Lucas was a product of his time...Laurel and Hardy, Abbot and Costello, Lenny and George, etc. ...remember, 3PO had a "last name"... Human Cyborg Relations...so he would have been butler/servile-like in his role as translator...Lucas probably LOVED how that whole persona came out...

Troll post or not, each and every one of you Posters should be pleased and proud of your passion and clarity on this topic...I would argue it is the Seminal Human Subject from which all else follows...not disability, not intellect, not region or geography...

...Color

...you can all hold your heads up with the importance and respect you have treated this topic with...I have read every post and am proud of this community...

John

P.S. ...definition of "racism"...

: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
Sleigh Ride is offline   Reply With Quote