Thread: BLURAY hype
View Single Post
Old June 3 2014, 05:18 PM   #23
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: BLURAY hype

I don't think it's a very good point. I watched TOS on LaserDisc, DVD and Blu-ray disc.

Frankly, I hardly ever notice the makeup seams on Spock's ears but I'm simply blown away by the clarity and Detail of the TOS images on Blu-ray which look like the show was just filmed yesterday. It's more like you realize you needed new glasses.

Regarding the mistakes: Yes, you can still see that Spock's science station on the bridge is cut off and you can still notice that during brawls you have stunt actors that don't resemble our cast too much.

But this is something I already noticed on LaserDisc or DVD so it's not a big issue.

The one additional thing Blu-ray offers (and 4K is expected to to better, still) is the color fidelity you get.

DVD features data compression and that has always affected color fidelity. Considering TOS' rich texture of vibrant colors, Blu-ray gives us a much better understanding and appreciation of the original colors.

This also applies to TNG-R on Blu-ray. Here the increase in picture quality is dramatic because the DVDs relied entirely on the old masters which rather looked like average VHS than decent DVD quality.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote