View Single Post
Old May 30 2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Shikarnov
Rear Admiral

Re: Question for the Authors

First, thanks to both of you for your responses. I really appreciate your taking the time.

Keith: I just Googled for "kurtzman orci trek canon" and limited the results to 2007-2009. The results contain a myriad of interviews in which they're obviously dissembling (as expected when concealing a major plot point) but clearly indicating nonetheless that the decision to reboot was -- as Christopher mentioned above -- to afford themselves creative latitude.

Rick Berman talks about the difficulties in staying true to Canon in this interview. I can recall similar complaints from Brannon Braga during Voyager and explaining why Enterprise would be so liberating, although I can't seem to dig up any direct quotes while distracted by work.

Novelist David Mack notes the freedom he has with created characters -- the implication that he's limited with the established ones.

Etc.