View Single Post
Old May 29 2014, 05:21 PM   #31
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: A gay character and other potential ST3 tidbits

BillJ wrote: View Post
If wanting to be entertained is a "backwards style of thinking" then I guess you're right.
We all have our own opinions and mine have nothing to do with whether people like this new Trek. Just because I say the direction of these films is backwards doesn't mean you're backwards in liking it.

I just think that if you're going to have a Star Trek that tackle things like gay characters or expanding on other characters' story that doesn't directly involve Kirk or Spock, this is not the Star Trek you want to do it in. Action is the name of the game and we've got to move at a lightning pace.

BillJ wrote: View Post
I can't remember an episode of TOS where Uhura had more than a couple of lines of relevant dialogue. As much as I love TOS, the Abrams version of Uhura is a more believable, more well-rounded character.
We are two films into this new take on Star Trek and we have yet to see Uhura's occupational skills turn out anything useful. She can speak Romulan in all three dialects, but the Romulans all speak English. She can speak Klingon, but all that does is put her in danger and needing to be rescued. About the only thing the writers can do for her character is whine about Spock and be the "action girl" with a gun. Giving her a gun to shoot bad guys with doesn't make her interesting.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote