View Single Post
Old August 23 2007, 02:22 PM   #9
Redfern
Commodore

Re: The "Bride" of the "M'Ress Appreciation Thread"

Ptrope said:
The clasp catches in the fur ...
*Snicker!* Clever!

Remember when DC Comics had the publishing rights for Star Trek in the mid '80s? The title, taking place aboard the Enterprise after Khan's self destructive wrath, went through a number of writers until Peter David signed onto the project. By the time of his arrival, DC had obtained a broader license to include material from the animated series. Peter took advantage of this to create a subplot involving M'Ress. At a bachelor party, several crewmembers get drunk because Bones, Scotty and Chekov each give the punch a lil' extra "kick". M'Ress and Sulu are seen strolling away arm in arm before the excess booze incites a brawl.

While we never see exactly what happens, we can pretty well guess. Afterwards, we see M'Ress wanting to cozy with Sulu while the helmsman seems uncomfortable with the situation. M'Ress eventually becomes frustrated with Hikaru's aloof attitude and so she "corners" in in a turbo-lift, demanding an explanation. I liked the encounter, but to be frank, I was not satisfied with the art. I won't say it was bad, but the style wasn't really suited for Trek. You know the ol' expression, "Yeah? Well, can you do any better?" I decided to see if I could.

I won't be so arrogant as to claim I did better, but I will say I opted for a variety of cinematic styled angles. The original comic art had a series of somewhat static side by side poses. You can see my version below.

Why didn't I complete it by inking and coloring the illustration? I was fortunate enough to have George Takei autograph my layout. I presented him with the still just penciled selections. Afterwards, I felt I shouldn't alter or update the material. Fortunately, Mr. Takei signed his name below my panels as opposed to across the drawings, so I was able to crop and paste the two drawings into a cohesive whole.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote