Old May 17 2014, 01:46 AM   #43
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: "...all 72 torpedoes are still in their tubes."

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
As for the Ceta Alpha system.

Spock mentions in Space Seed that the system has been fulled charted and that "planet number 5 is habitable." stating that the environment is harsh, which means a survey ship was in the system monitoring each planet not all that long ago.

The Enterprise warps back to the Botany Bay, takes everything to CA5, settles them on the planet by bringing (somehow) the cargobays from the BB to the surface, which could have taken a while, got the colonists down there, Spock likely scanned the region while they were there, then left.

Reliant was at least the 3rd Federation starship inside that system in 30-50 years, with no less than one entire system wide survey and all of Spock's readings from the previous trip.

Suddenly it's all 'how do i science'.
Well, maybe. We have maps of the oceans. We've been making maps for centuries. We could still discover something about the oceans that we don't know.

The real issue is that Star Trek, while a franchise back then, was not a thriving franchise when Bennet and Meyer did the film.. they just had a story idea and bent continuity and a few little rules to tell an awesome story. But now, Trek is a huge franchise, people do care about this stuff, and the writers getting paid millions shouldn't puke out screenplays in a weekend and let such a sloppy project out to the public. I mean, the torpedoes are the MacGuffin of the film
I fail to see how Trek not being a "thriving franchise" at the time TWOK was made has anything to do with whether or not the Ceti Alpha V problem constitutes a plot hole.
That's my point. I was trying to establish that I was on the side that the Ceti Alpha V thing was not a plot hole and was no big deal to me in the least.

But the torpedoes, who has them, when they have, what they knew and when they knew it, and how they go back forth, whether they are armed or not... well those things constitute the entirety of the plot of Into Darkness... and I think I am justified into being a bit picky about it.

The script simple. Kirk goes to Kronos and is ordered to fire them all on Harrison. I like the fact that the writers had an A to B to C plot to start their story and there were some good debates between Spock and Kirk, as well as between Scotty and Kirk as to the ethics of using them.

The story gets out of hand once we look into the back story, so much so that that even the simple plot the writers started with doesn't make sense.