View Single Post
Old May 8 2014, 11:49 PM   #3
Jax
Admiral

Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

England have not gone out the opening group stage since 1958 and I remember the same thing said when we were placed in the 2002 group of death but...

Italy will dominate the opening game much like the quarter final "Euro 2012" fixture and Uruguay despite not being good as 4 years ago when they finished 4th or 3 years ago when they won the Copa America, they are in their own backyard with a striker whose in the top 3 of world football IMO. Even Costa Rica could take a point off a damaged and confidence battered England side. I don't doubt the squad we are building but I do doubt the manager's negative tactics, which rubs off on our players and no doubt chips away at their ability on the field. Also combine injuries + Hodgson most likely refusal to pick & use a lot of young exciting players, I can't see us getting out the group stage.

England 0-1 Italy
England 1-2 Uruguay
England 2-1 Costa Rica

Eliminated in 3rd place with 3pts
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote