View Single Post
Old May 6 2014, 01:40 PM   #69
Dennis
The Man

Re: Exeter "The Tressaurian Intersection" Grading & Discussion Thread

Thanks very much for the kind words. I certainly appreciate the depth and analysis of the way the show is put together on a professional level; I don't think I've seen another review of a fan film that's quite so detailed and knowledgeable about those things. It certainly made me aware of aspects of the direction, cinematography and editing that I'd not noticed despite having watched this show in whole and probably hundreds of times over the last decade.

Now, as for comparisons with other fan films - we're all doing our own things. It's the most natural thing in the world for filmmakers who are fans of Star Trek to embrace and make use of the whole now-fifty-year history and continuity of the show as most of these movies do. Personally, the only TOS fan film so far that I enjoy as much as I've enjoyed working on Exeter is Phase II's "Worlds Enough And Time," which is cleverly directed and makes the best use of guest casting I've ever seen. People who love the franchise love the characters they see in it, whether it's Sulu or Kirk or Yar or Garth (or the Doomsday Machine or the Guardian of Forever, they count as characters, right? ). It just happens that the Johnsons are especially fascinated with Star Trek as it originally was presented and made a creative decision not to update it and to restrict the source material they referenced almost entirely to what a fan in 1970 would have been aware of. That choice set the whole project off in a somewhat different direction than many.

It was easy for me to embrace and run with that, because I was twelve years old in 1966 when I heard Kirk say in "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" something like "there are twelve like [the Enterprise] in the fleet," and two days later my best friend and I had made up our own Star Fleet starship with our own characters, etc. So I identify with the brothers Johnson pretty strongly despite differences in our ages and attitudes toward many other things.

Anyway, many thanks for the review. I think the folks over on the FB page would enjoy it as well.